1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Automated cars closer to reality than we expect?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/22/the-sci-fi-future-of-driving-its-already-here/?hpt=hp_c1

An interesting read on CNN.com about how close automakers are to being able to fully automate driving and whether society would really want to give up full control in cars.

This comes on the heels of Consumer Reports' announcement yesterday that it supports "vehicle-to-vehicle" technology, which allows cars to communicate with one another and effectively stay away from one another.

It all sounds very futuristic, but it may not be as far off as we would think.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We can put a man on the moon, but can't have driverless cars. Never mind, as we can't put a man on the moon, either, anymore.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's an interesting read. I'm not sure everyone's ready to give up control, though ... if you're running late, will the car break the speed limit for you? Or pass on the right the idiot cruising below the speed limit in the left lane?

There's a fine line between increased safety for all and allowing people to drive in a way that suits them, especially out here in the wide-open West.

Oh ... and as a quasi-Luddite, this part depresses the hell out of me:

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering how many GPS systems steer you into the middle of the woods when they decide to get cranky, I'm not too optimistic about full automation.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They have three years to start flying.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention, the Marlins have three years to switch to the American League so the Cubs can beat them in the Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted