1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Author wants to know why Duke-hating carries a homophobic component

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I hate to defend anything related to Duke (because I despise K), but I'm not sure other players catch that kind of stuff as much as Duke players, year in and year out.
    Maybe it's the most derisive response other fans can come up with, given the abuse Duke fans heap on other players and teams.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Your point?

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Please. Duke gets the pretty boy treatment and gets overhyped. That is why people hate them. Duke has been rather ordinary since 2001 and people fawn over them incessantly.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Except with Duke it's not limited to longer-haired players, or guys like Redick, Ferry, Paulus, Scheyer, et al. wouldn't be targets. It's not even limited to white guys -- remember when Brian Davis was supposed to be Laettner's lover? It never occurred to me before, but when you think about it, the author has a good point here.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This guy has obviously not gone to a West Virginia game, where "[Insert opponent's best player's name here]'s a Faggot" is a standard chant.

I'm so tired of whining and victimization in this country.

NOBODY IS PICKING ON YOU!!!!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am sure that Brian Davis's reaction to beating Kentucky and coming off looking like Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds didn't help...

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What people? Not me. Maybe Vitale, Feinstein and Wilbon. Who else is in K's pocket?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the line forms behind this guy...

[​IMG]

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm always ashamed when Mizzou fans call beakers gayhawks. Always reminds me of something a middle schooler would come up with.

Gay jokes and slurs are beyond lame and reflect much more on the hurler's limited mental capacity than the target he/she is attacking.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Duke is associated with rich white kids; therefore, all the taunting and ridicule is deserved.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You can taunt people without using slurs.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I was being purposely absurd, 'beetus. Even if every Duke player was rich, white and, worst of all, Republican, the name-calling is ridiculous. Of course, when you get thousands of college students together, stupidity always wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted