1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia's secret weapon for 2008 Olympics: sports bras

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19623120-2702,00.html

IT'S already Beijing or bust for Australia's leading female athletes
    The Australian Institute of Sport and Berlei have formed a partnership to give athletes the perfect fit, and help all well-endowed women to feel more comfortable playing sport.
    "A sports bra is a technical piece of sporting equipment - in much the same way as a running shoe, road bike or hockey stick."
    It may seem a frivolous pursuit for Australia's medal factory, but not to AIS biomechanist Jodie Cochrane, who says 56 per cent of women feel pain from "breast bounce" when they are exercising or running.
    Ms Cochrane, who has no end of male volunteers offering to help with her work, said there was no existing research into the performance effect of good bras, but it was an area the AIS was willing to study.

"Anecdotally, athletes say they perform better when they are more comfortable, and I wonder if less breast movement would make an athlete more aerodynamic," Ms Cochrane said yesterday.

Olympic track cycling gold medallist Anna Meares said something as simple as a poorly fitting bra could make a difference in her sport, where the placings are decided by thousandths of a second.

"Under our skin-suits the only attire we have is a sports bra, and we get a lot of lateral movement," she said. "I think a bra makes a difference to your stature and how you hold yourself.

"If your bra is too tight or too loose it could affect your technique. It can give me headaches if my bra straps are too tight.

"Anything that takes your focus away from the race or makes you uncomfortable can affect your performance."

Meares, who has a famous sibling rivalry with her older sister Kerrie, said bra size was another issue on which the two competed.

"Kerrie says the only things we don't share are gold medals and boyfriends, and I'm adding bras to the list, because I have a bigger bust," she said.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Nice...

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

THis thread is worthless without NSFW links ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted