1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Oct 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Paterno has given breaks to plenty of kids who couldn't perform. For starters, anyone remember Calvin Lowry's disastrous stints on special teams? Or Zack Mills' last three seasons that were filled with fail? (Granted, with Mills, injuries may have contributed.) oop, it goes beyond performance with Scott, into some other deep-rooted issues that predated the rape charge.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How the heck does Zack Mills continuing to play even though he sucked apply here?

Bottom line. Paterno put up with Scott's behavior until he fumbled his way out of a significant role with the team. Then, it suddenly became a lot easier ot turn on him. I'm not saying Paterno is any worse than any other college coach here. But he sure wasn't any better in the way he handled this.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Other crappy players have kept their jobs on Paterno-coached teams. Scott didn't. To say it all comes down to performance is to me oversimplifying things.

4. outofplace

I didn't say it was only performance, but the timing for Paterno finally getting fed up with Scott sure seems convenient to me. And the fact that he cut him off completely and wouldn't even talk to him after the filing of these charges, which have now been dropped, does not speak well of Paterno.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You're right, oop, I'm just belaboring the point more than I should.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Scott burned so many bridges at Penn State it was only a matter of time until he got the boot. Being out until 3 or 4 in the morning was the last straw. He was essentially kicked off the team before he was even charged with rape. And Paterno didn't cut all ties with him. Scott was allowed to workout at PSU's pro day and Paterno said yesterday he'd help him get a look from a NFL team.

7. outofplace

melock, that's because Paterno changed his tune after people started questioning the witness. And you notice Paterno's comments yesterday came after the charges were dropped, when perhaps some might question Saint Joe for turning on the kid over charges that ended up being dropped. It's a PR move, pure and simple.

But when the shit hit the fan, Paterno wouldn't even talk to him. Not even to say, "You're done." You can believe the crap about the late night being the issue if you want. Sounds like ass covering to me.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm with oop, not against you. Do I think it was right that Joe totally cut Scott off? No. But do I believe he just got sick of Scott's antics? Yes. There's no doubt, Scott should have officially been told he was thrown off the team. His named appeared on the roster for the rest of the season. Whatever's been going since the charges have been dropped is shady in my opinion, too.

My main point is I think Joe finally got tired of all the headaches Scott caused and just decided to wash his hands of him. Whether it was right or wrong, well people can make arguments either way. I just don't believe Scott was cast aside only because his performance wasn't up to par.

9. outofplace

It wasn't ONLY that, but I think we can agree that it was a factor, correct? I think the disagreement we have is over how much of a factor it was.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that. We definitely know his play was a factor, but we differ on HOW MUCH of a factor. No question it played a role in his "dismissal" though.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Scott file suit against Penn State, the prosecutor who handled his case and his accuser.

There are some pretty salacious claims in the suit: essentially that the cops knew from the beginning she had made a nearly identical rape claim before that was dropped; there was no evidence of rape; they pushed forward anyway; the prosecutor had a history of coming on to rape victims; and he pushed for the prosecution as a way to curry favor with the accuser. Pretty amazing stuff if true.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/law/2009/10/16/former-player-files-suit-against-penn-state-after-rape-case-falls-apart/

Draft saved Draft deleted