1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Oct 23, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The only question I would have there is, did the PSU coaches really believe they didn't need what Scott brought to the table at that point? I mean, Kinlaw had never gotten feature-back duty; the other kid, whose name escapes me, had hardly carried the ball at all. Scott was easily the most experienced back they had.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You're right Shot. If PSU's coaching staff thought Kinlaw could handle the load they would have had him in there from the get go or at least after Scott started putting the ball on the ground. Evan Royster (the kid you couldn't remember) had never carried the ball before last season.

As far as Scott goes, Paterno was just sick of his antics. Like someone here said, he was suspended for missing curfew, not being charged with rape, which was the final straw. This is a kid who missed classes, meetings, didn't attend conditioning and weight training sessions regularly when he first got to PSU. He was also in the training room far too much for Paterno's liking. Just another case of a star high school athlete thinking he's owed something when he gets to the next level.

And I don't want to hear from anyone that they booted him off the team b/c they didn't need him. In 1997, Paterno booted Joe Jurevicius (academic reasons) and Curtis Enis (allowed agent to buy him a suit for college football award show) off the team before they met Florida in the Citrus Bowl. They sure as hell needed those guys (lost 21-6). Where out your welcome and you're gone no matter how good.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's the X-factor I'd forgotten about -- Scott couldn't hold onto the football at the start of the season. That's what put him into a doghouse from which he never escaped.

Another thing about him. When I saw him play for Parkland, it was apparent to me that he wasn't a speed back. He was one of those low gliders who covered 10 yards with two strides. That style often fails to translate well to higher levels.

I'd be curious to know if this morning, Austin Scott considers himself the ultimate victim, or if he is quick to admit that he contributed to at least some of his downfall.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Paterno just said at his presser before the Blue-White game that he has been in contact with Scott recently and said he'd be willing to help Scott get a look in a NFL camp. He also said his main problem with Scott was on the night of the alleged incident that he was out to 3 or 4 a.m. and not what he was doing.

6. outofplace

Bullshit. The problem was he was out of favor on the field, so suddenly his off-field issues were no longer worth putting up with.

It's very easy to talk about helping him now, and I'm sure Paterno can be some help. Paterno is a smart man. He knows it looks bad that he turned on the kid for charges that were dropped because the alleged victim turned out to be unreliable.

Defend him all you like. Scott had fumbled his way out of a significant role before Paterno gave up on him.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Just reporting what JoePa said, which you always have to take with a grain of salt.

As far as Scott falling out of favor, you couldn't be more right as to why. His fumble against Michigan killed them and he also put the ball on the ground against Notre Dame and Buffalo. In my opinion Scott is the biggest bust in PSU history as far as a player who came in with a lot of hype and did absolutely nothing.

8. outofplace

I can't argue with that, which is what made it easier for Paterno to turn on him.

Look, Paterno was a great coach. He has done a lot of things right other than just coaching over the years, too. But I never bought into the "Saint Joe" crap, even growing up as a fan of the program.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm certainly not going to stand on my head defending him. A lot of issues are complex; the Joe Paterno story is complex12. The biggest mistake we can make is painting that picture all black or all white.

10. outofplace

Which is my issue with Paterno. Far too many people have tried to paint it all white for far too long.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Wellll ... some people have tried to paint it all black, too.

12. outofplace

Also true.

Draft saved Draft deleted