1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Oct 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There's also a lot of backstory to the Sayles incident that I won't go into on here... who knows if what I heard was 100 percent accurate, but I trust my sources.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, come on.
    Bobby Engram was a BIG TIME recruit.
    And everybody knew it. Joe was not going to mess with that.

3. The Allentown Morning Call, a newspaper that likes to think it plays with the big boys (and, in fact, their circulation might be bigger than that of the Daily News), appears to have gotten beat badly on this story. Wonder what happened?

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Part two: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20071024_Great_expectations__not_a_great_Scott.html

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

MORNING CALL, ALLENTOWN (LEHIGH CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 108,886
    MORNING CALL, ALLENTOWN (LEHIGH CO.) SAT M DLY 128,351
    MORNING CALL, ALLENTOWN (LEHIGH CO.) SUN DLY 147,696

DAILY NEWS, PHILADELPHIA (PHILADELPHIA CO.) SAT M DLY 69,464
    DAILY NEWS, PHILADELPHIA (PHILADELPHIA CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 113,951

Wow, I didn't even realize it was that close, M-F, would've thought the DN was a bit bigger.

As for this series, I don't know why they need two parts to this story. Today's story was backstory, and that's been pretty well covered in a lot of the state media outlets.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wicked, I'm guessing just an attempt to get a little extra play out of the big story.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As am I.

But it reeks of redundancy. I'd love to see the spread in the paper. I wouldn't be surprised if each part were a double-truck. I'm sure it was at least one full (tab) page.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

From someone who's done their share of tab double-trucks, the size of those two stories would each dictate considerably more than a double-truck to present them well.

This is feeling like another brick pulled out of the Paterno wall. And more and more, I'm thinking the wall is going to come down, and it won't be pretty.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which part isn't pretty here?

a. The fact that he took on a borderline kid like Scott in the first place?
    b. The fact that he discarded Scott?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That depends on how you're defining "took on."

Do you mean that he recruited the kid in the first place, or that he played hardball with him when he was there?

Because I think anyone in the country would have taken Scott as a high school senior, and I had never heard of him being any kind of problem back then.

In general, I just think it's the old story that Joe refuses to recognize that he doesn't operate in a vacuum anymore. Things have changed dramatically from the days when Ronnie Christ was the harshest "critic" he had to deal with, and the meticulously scripted "TV Quarterbacks" was the only place where he had to present a public persona.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, there is that.

Now that there are other reporters around besides his buddies on East College, he can't hide the shenanigans as well.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AvNGMkh7IkptxREzJJebOyE5nYcB?slug=ap-pennst-scott&prov=ap&type=lgns

Update: All charges were dropped.

Draft saved Draft deleted