1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Oct 23, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Great piece on Penn State running back accused of rape.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20071023_FROM_PROMISE_TO_DESPAIR.html

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. It was a good read and very informative. I hadn't heard the part about the accuser having filed similar charges in the past. Not that I'm jumping to believe Scott. Just saying a lot of people are jumping the other way without knowing much about it.

It is slanted dramatically to Scott's side of the story. The reporter all but admits being used by Scott and his lawyer. But that doesn't mean the story isn't worth telling.

Oh, and if Scott is telling the truth, this is just more evidence that Paterno is a hypocrite and a prick. No surprise there. Nothing wrong with a coach taking a hard line. Just try doing it consistently.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Paterno has a track record of bending over backward to help out kids who help the team, from what I hear. Of course, Scott's past transgressions, as alluded to by the writer, are going to be factored in.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That's why JoePa isn't bending over backwards to help Scott. Scott has been a headache for him from the day he stepped on campus. Whether it was cutting classes, missing study sessions, staying in the trainer's room too much or fumbling, Scott wore out his welcome with Paterno. But if Scott was the big-time player at Penn State that everyone thought he would be coming out of Parkland, Joe might have a different stance on it.

And one note about the writer of the story: she's a Penn State grad who isn't even the Daily News' primary Penn State beat writer. It was a little surprising to me that she got the story. But she did do a good job with it in my opinion.

5. outofplace

Exactly. Wasn't Scott losing time to Kinlaw anyway?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I wonder what Part 2 of this will bring?

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Scott fumbled inside Michigan's 10 that killed Penn State. He also fumbled against Buffalo and Notre Dame that could have been costly had those two teams been good. One thing Paterno won't tolerate is putting the ball on the ground. That's why Kinlaw was getting more carries and they wanted to see what Royster could do to. Of course he fumbled twice against Indiana this weekend.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Kinlaw always has been injured and was behind Hunt and Scott. Glad he's getting a chance to break out.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

All three came in with the same class. Kinlaw was actually running with the first teamers as a true freshman before his knee exploded during practice one day. Nice kid, too. Good for him.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ah, for the days of Austin's Army in the freshman section.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The army was there for the Notre Dame game. The Iowa game, not so much.

12. outofplace

Exactly my point. Paterno refused to hear the kid out and banned him from the team because he didn't need him any more.

One more reason I can't stand Paterno no matter how much good he has done.

Draft saved Draft deleted