1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jan 6, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Salt Lick was on the last episode of Top Chef. Made me hungry

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The City Grill on Sixth Street, presuming it's still there. Haven't been to Austin in ages, but I endorse it heartily. Get there in March. SXSW is not to be missed.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

To hell with that tourist trap (Salt Lick). If you want real meat, head to Luling or Lockhart (easy, short drives from Austin). Barbecue heaven.

Want a late night freak show with great food? Try the Kerbey Lane Cafe on Guadalupe right next to UT.

Don't mind spending money on steak? Try TRIO at the Four Seasons Hotel.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Nope, I was there a few months ago and used my card, but bring cash in case I am delirious. It's cheap...20 bucks will get you change back.
    Get the smoked turkey and sausage for sure on 4-meat combo. I didn't try the beef ribs, but the brisket and pork ribs were awesome.

6th St. is a must.
    Austin City Limits is cool to at least walk by. If you like line-dancing (who doesn't) there is a few dance halls around ACL as well.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Star Seeds makes Kerby Lane look like a Cracker Barrel, in terms of clientele.

I hope Star Seeds is still there. Had good grub there late one night while the waiters alternated the CDs between old Clash and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Had some really, really good buckwheat pancakes at Kerby Lane one day though. Good stuff.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You are correct, Star Seeds is a bit on the ummmmmmm, alternative side. Ha!
    Austin has some great late-night eats.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I loved that I could go to me little Viet place, 888, at 1:30 in the morning. Nothing like pho at 1 a.m. with a few drinks in ya.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Thanks to all -- great time in the city. Did Max's Wine Dive and Vince Young's Steakhouse for dinner. We ate both days around South Congress. 6th Street was a little young for us, but there were some nice places in the Red River Street area which were more our speed.

The rumored line at Franklin's was too long -- did Iron Works, which was very good.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Glad to hear you had a great time, Webster.

Draft saved Draft deleted