1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Every year, a bunch of friends and I gather in a different city for the Super Bowl (a callback to days watching MNF in law school). This year, we decided to do Austin -- mostly because we wanted a new city which wouldn't be frigid and our wives would kill us if we did somewhere tropical. However, none of us have ever been to austin before.

Any recommendations regarding things to do, places to eat (we want to do one night at a fun place another for steak), bars/music scenes, etc. would be appreciated. We're staying at a hotel downtown and are willing to cab it anywhere.

Thanks.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Sixth Street. Continental Club on Congress Ave. My favorite Viet place called 888 on Oltorf (if it's still open...haven't been to Austin in quite a few years now). That's a start, but far from a finish.

And if your wives are shoppers, the largest outlet mall in the U.S. (it's actually two Outlet Malls - one Tanger and one Premium Outlets) are side-by-side in San Marcos, about 30 minutes south of Austin on I-35. It's almost a mile of outlet mall when you stretch it from the beginning of one to the end of the other.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

South Congress over Sixth Street. I forget the name of the good Tex-Mex place there that my wife always takes me too, so I'm not much help.

It's not a buddy-trip kinda thing, but the LBJ Library/Museum is on the UT campus -- it's not that great, but is currently undergoing a massive renovation. if you're renting a car, drive around the Hill Country -- maybe have a vague destination in mind like the LBJ Ranch, and take the smaller roads to get there.

Or go to Hippie Hollow and get naked, if shrinkage won't be a problem.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

For a relaxed atmosphere for a drink, try the lounge at the Driskill Hotel (which is from the 1880s) on Sixth Street. Also Fado, an Irish pub, on Fourth is great too.

A walk along the Colorado River (just south of Downtown) is good for some exercise.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's a little out of town, but if you're a carnivore, the Salt Lick is a must. Go hungry and BYOB.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Someone told us that the place is great.

It's a guys trip, although we're 10 married guys in our 40s with cumulatively about 30 kids and 300 extra pounds between us. The pace has slowed way down.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Salt Lick has a restaurant adjacent to the minor league ballpark in Round Rock -- I'm sure the atmosphere doesn't match the original, but the food is still damn good and it's an hour closer.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If you do hit the Salt Lick, it'll be 350 extra pounds by the time you leave.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I enjoyed eating at Iron Works when I stayed there once for SXSW. Nice, scenic location near the river.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

+1. Well worth the visit.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

6th Street is where you want to be if you want to have a good time boozing.

Salt Lick is delicious BBQ, but it's an all-cash place. No credit cards allowed.

12. Big, big fan of Salt Lick and Iron Works and have heard great things about Franklin BBQ, too. Also really enjoyed Eastside Cafe and, if the weather's nice, Hula Hut. Austin's a tremendous city.

Draft saved Draft deleted