1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Peay beat writer, USA Today Network -- Tennessee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 3, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Digital college sports writer wanted to cover Austin Peay State University athletics.

The selected member will be digital savvy, equally capable of producing a video as he/she is with writing a breaking news story or with writing a quick-turnaround analysis from a game.

The chosen applicant will be a member of a 20-plus USA TODAY Network-Tennessee sports group which was recently honored with 20 Associated Press Sports Editors awards in 2017.

Responsibilities:

• Maintain a close working relationship with potential news sources, real as well as general reporting.
    • Engage readers through social media by responding to reader comments and pursing other avenues of interaction with audiences.
    • Be on alert at all times for breaking news in order to generate story ideas and plan coverage effectively. Write stories with digital focus, shoot video to tell the story.
    • Develop updates to live stories throughout the day, with several deadlines built into the workday.

Additional Qualifications:

• Have the ability to post breaking news.
    • Must be able operate a camera equipped with still and video capabilities.
    • Must be able to write clearly and succinctly on a variety of topics, which may extend beyond the primary focus of the beat.
    • Basic knowledge of web publishing tools and/or the ability to learn new technology quickly.
    • Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to meet deadline in a fast-paced environment.
    • Excellent communication and presentation skills.
    • BS/BA in news/media discipline or equivalent experience.
    • 3-5 years of experience in a related field.
    Interested applicants should apply and also send a digital resume to Phil Kaplan at pkaplan@gannett.com, include your top five links that show your expertise in digital storytelling.

Job opportunity at Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK - Sports Reporter

2. ss90

ss90 Member

Unlike a lot of editors, Phil is kind enough to respond to emails in a prompt and professional manner. Will let you know of any updates quickly, within 10-12 days. Candidates are in good hands here.

Doc Holliday and MiamiBoy like this.
  3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Dammit, I so could work for Phil. lol... I second that. A lot of people do not bother to respond to anything, which makes you wonder if your e-mail went to spam.

4. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

They've made a hire.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I believe they have for the other positions but not the Austin Peay beat reporter...I could be wrong

6. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I applied for the position and Mr. Kaplan emailed me earlier saying they made a hire.

7. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

This is said hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted