1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin American-Statesman staffers get bonus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From Romanesko:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=174899

Congrats and I'm envious.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm doubly envious. They get a bonus AND live in Austin.

3. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I heard they took their paper off the market too. Not a bad day to be in Austin.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I remember when my paper switched from a $50 gift card to the local grocery store to a $25 gift card.
    Amazing that 10 years later, that remains the largest Christmas bonus I've received.

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

cox communications is still the only company i ever got a christmas bonus from. i was at my paper for four days and i still got one in 2007. then a full one in 2008, of course they laid me off two months later...

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Merely a ripple in the dirty pool of newspapers nationwide.

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

The bonus I got when I was making $6.50 an hour at a small-town roofing company was 10 times larger than the largest bonus I've ever gotten at my newspaper, which is owned by a multi-billiion-dollar corporation.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Good for them. It's nice to hear positive news in this industry from time to time.

9. Prospero

Prospero Member

They must be doing something right in Austin. Anyone know what it is? And would it work elsewhere?

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The major companies would rather follow the slash and burn tactics that work so well, and have created a legion of happily employed journalists than do what Austin does.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Most of Texas, and Austin in particular, are weathering the recession better than most other areas.

12. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Some really good people put out the sports section in Austin. Glad they'll be enjoying a merrier Christmas.

Draft saved Draft deleted