1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aussie College Baseball Playa Killed By Bored Teens In Ok Narrative

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Re: Austrialian College Baseball Player Killed By Bored Teens In Oka

What about this case? What about that case? Where's the outrage Obama and Sharpton?
    If it takes 45 days and all kinds of pressure from politicians and the media to charge these guys, I'll listen to that.
    Until then, enough of that shit.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've thought about it and come to a conclusion.

These animals had no reason to kill this kid and they need to be put down like the rabid dogs they are.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I think the 90 percent thing means....this runner was not the only "wood" the shooter saw that day.

But it is interesting to see the media coverage and that is why a lot of people getting upset. A lot of media went out of the way to brand zimmerman/martin racial, calling zimmerman white, nbc altering the taprd, using white hispanic, etc.

In this case, it is the quick push to label the shooters anything but black. Is it true? Yes, but it is so rare that it seems odd. The average american cant understand why the media does it, so they assume liberal bias and racism.

Finally, I am a runner. This bother me. This freaks me out. zimmerman/martin was called every black mothers worst nightmare, well it should be every person's worst fear. This shooting plays on that same fear. To suggest that it is ok because whites mistreat blacks is some off the oddest logic out there.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There's some real pieces of shit on this board.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Midnight basketball leagues

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How about just taking seriously, and to heart, what MLK said 50 freaking years ago about that "content of character" stuff? Many people these days have tried to do that -- two generations of Americans, in fact, since MLK said it.

But the race industry and grievance bearers cannot survive if it is embraced wholeheartedly. So they pretend that zero progress has been made since then. And they behave in ways that actually have worsened race relations over the past five years, the precise period during which we were supposed to see them improve even further.

Overzealous neighborhood watch guy shoots and kills a guy he was tracking, who took offense to that tracking and confronted him physically.

Three teenage jackals savagely beat down a classmate on a school bus.

Three jackasses gun down an innocent jogger.

Focusing on races in this sort of stuff is wrong and beside the facts. That statue of Lady Justice wears a blindfold for a reason. But too many of us -- and way too many in the media -- immediately go to their effin' worst- and first-instincts of tribalism to try to divide and stoke ratings, clicks, emotions, you name it.

Wish we defined our tribes more clearly as those who heed laws and values, and those who do not.

Rest of you can squabble and act out some past generations' guilt, but I'm done with skin pigment as anything that matters. In either direction.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Devil is just dumb. He's not a bad person.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That puts him in increasingly rare company hereabouts.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Non of the initial news reports from major US media orgs mentioned the race of the shooters. Either they didn't know their race, or they didn't think their readers deserved to know. But, if they didn't know, they didn't tell us that either.

The media does not want to provide red meat for folks who hold racist views. But they are willing to fan the flames when they perceive racism.

It's a coddling of the audience that's offensive, and hurts the credibility of the news organizations.

Folks want the facts, and they will not trust you if you don't provide them.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Media used tried and true neighborhood codes to subtly let
    readers know the race of parties involved.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who said the media knew the suspects' skin color when they did the first stories?

As a nonjouralist, you do realize that all the info was coming from the cops - who often withhold info from the media - right? And that a lot of the stories were produced by writers not in Oklahoma?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

FWIW, if I recall, there is a long-standing guideline in the news business of not mentioning race unless it's a vital component of the story - an example would be if a suspect was at large and race acted as an identifier, like any other physical characteristic. You can debate the merits of that, sure. But it's pretty entrenched, and inertia has as much to do with it at this point as the wider conspiracy you see.

I don't recall exactly how the Zimmerman story developed, or when race became a major component of it, and how so. I guess it would be interesting to go back and track the coverage that way. Sure someone has, right? If not, maybe I'll do so. I wish I had a blog sometimes.

I have not seen this story in the NYT this week. I know that some sports sites have carried it because the victim was a college baseball player. It seems strange, to me, to ghettoize it that way.

I think it's true in the case of a lot of crime stories that they don't really get traction nationally without a mystery that acts as an engine. In the Zimmerman case, it was, "Will they charge him?" In other cases, like JonBenet Ramsey, it's, "Who done it?" In the case of O.J. Simpson or Phil Spector or Aaron Hernandez, a celebrity's involvement gives it a push. In this case, we know who the victim was. We know who did it. Unless there is a larger trend to tie it to, like a spate of teen-agers picking off innocent victims, it will die on the vine. People's perception, borne out by the statistics, is that violent crime is down. So this is a one-off story. In the Zimmerman case, you had the growth of Stand Your Ground laws, and the incident occurred smack in the middle of a national debate on gun control.

I do think that, in this case, it will eventually get pushed to the forefront a little bit by people with an agenda, in the tradition of Kermit Gosnell or the Steubenville rape case. In this case, the right wants its George Zimmerman story. And, on top of that, the right wants to continue to try the media in open court for its coverage of the George Zimmerman story.

My take: I think the race question has to be explored, particularly as more comes out. Did they target a white guy? Why? But, at the same time, I don't think that that was a first-day story. It's the follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.