1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aurora (Ill.) Beacon News, two positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Minutemen, Apr 11, 2007.

1. turnovers

turnovers Member

Anyone know anything else about this job? Is this a entry-level, the next step, blah blah blah?

2. turnovers

turnovers Member

IMO (and what do I know?), e-mail has always been the easiest for me. The responses are quick and if you have your clips in PDF or JPG formats, it's easy for the recipient to pop up your clips and scan them to see if they want to get back with you or not. I've always gotten quick responses when e-mailing a resume with several PDF clips attached.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's no longer true. Some of the pages are common (e.g. their baseball pages), but the cover, at least in Waukegan, is original every night.

4. turnovers

turnovers Member

Something else re: this job... "the thrust of this position will be feature and enterprise writing." Do you even see this much anymore? Especially when half the other listings want you to do desk, copy editing, agate and wash the SE's car along with some writing. :D

5. Big Z

Big Z New Member

Unlike much of the Chicago area, there isn't a lot of competition for the Beacon in and around Aurora as far as local coverage goes. The sports department has undergone quite a bit of turmoil in the past few years with three different sports editors, which has at times led to some questionable sports editorial decisions. However, the paper could use some new blood and this job will give you an opportunity to cover some pretty competitive prep sports and get your foot in the door in the Sun-Times News Group. This is one of those jobs where you can put in the bare minimum and get by, but you also have the freedom to do some really good work. As for the part-time job, expect more agate work and less coverage based on previous hires.

6. That's what I'd like to know.

7. Big Z

Big Z New Member

$30-35K would be my guess.

8. I'd be sold on $45K...maybe.

9. berklonius

berklonius New Member

I'd think it'd be closer to the lower end of the 30-35K range. For a young journalist, this isn't a bad gig at all. I did some freelance work for these guys a couple years back and I was given a decent amount of latitude then. It seems like there's been some shakeup since then, but you'll have a chance to do a wide range of stories if you have the initiative.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I'll add that the newest sports editor, Todd M. Adams, is one of the good people in the business. From what I know, the part-time job is three nights per week on the desk and two nights per week writing.

11. johnnychoice

johnnychoice New Member

Would it be possible to live in the city of Chicago and commute to this job

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sure, if you don't mind spending 90 minutes in the car everyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted