1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aunt Bea is very unhappy over the lack of interest in the UConn women

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 16, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It won't be a beef then, either.

Tom Brady's hair transplants will be a bigger story.

You can't make people care about uninteresting basketball.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not to nitpick, but...Aunt BEE.

I think the end of the UConn-Tennessee series does cast a pall on the Huskies streak. Not playing Tennessee hurts the streak's legitimacy.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

ESPN.com has a lead story and various sidebar stuff on the streak posted today.

Could not agree more about UConn-Tennessee. Don't know who was more responsible for that series ending, Geno or Summitt, but you know Summitt would kill for a chance to end the streak. Too bad.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pat Summitt won't play Geno. Hard feelings over the Maya Moore recruitment, supposedly, although there has always seemed to be much more under the surface. Another story that could be covered if anyone tried to cover women's basketball as a sport instead of writing it as "isn't this great that these girls play for the love of the game and are role models for other girls."

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

When I was on the desk and knew I had a girls/women's basketball gamer coming in with art, I always knew to slot a two-column horizontal photo because 9 times out of 10 the photo would be two or three on the floor wrestling for a loose ball.

Carry on ...

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Soccer (both genders) is the same way.

To me, you aren't legitimate until you're covered like you said - as a sport, not as a cause.

7. playthrough

Wasn't there also an undercurrent of "UConn-Tennessee is overshadowing the rest of the women's game?" Ludicrous. That's exactly what the sport needs, its two best and polarizing coaches facing off as much as possible.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. You don't see much on great cross country champions either. No sport is entitled to coverage, the amount you get is determined by the level of fan interest in the sport.

Not many folks are interested in watching basketball played at around the same level as the 15 year old boys at the local JV game. If womens hoops doesn't like it, find a way to get people more interested. They tried switching to a gimmicky smaller ball to try to make the game look more like men's hoops, that didn't seem to work, so try something else. But don't blame the fans for not caring.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Y'all can say what you want about the level of competition, but 80-something consecutive victories in college basketball, be it men's, women's, Div II, III, NAIA, whatever, is still a mighty impressive accomplishment. Regardless of who you play, it's extremely difficult not to find a night where the shots just don't fall enough some time over a 3 year span.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no problem with Brennan using her column to tell people how great the UConn team is and how significant she thinks the record is.

I do have a problem when she's chastizing people for not covering it or caring about it the way that she thinks we should.

Give readers a reason to care about this team that goes beyond shaming everyone for overlooking it.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They could shoot 20 percent and win 90 percent of their games because they are so ridiculously more athletic than other teams that they just rebound and put back, rebound and put back.

It's almost a joke to watch sometimes, especially live, if you ever have a chance. Women among girls.

12. playthrough

Get some very important people in basketball to tell us why we should care. Avoid Lapchick.

Draft saved Draft deleted