1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aunt Bea is very unhappy over the lack of interest in the UConn women

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

But I think that proves my point.

It would have been easy to find those opinions and attributed them, no?

Why ask us to take on faith what would be easily verifiable?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"It should get top sports billing on a NFL Sunday."

What a total dunce.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why must an opinion piece corroborate the obvious?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Here's my problem - Brennan wants equal coverage, yes? Yet, it seems frowned upon to write/say anything remotely negative about any female sports team. The USA women's soccer team should have been blasted for losing to Mexico last month, which nearly cost them a World Cup berth. Instead, I heard crap like, "The rest of the world has closed the gap" and "They are tired from a long season" and other excuses. The women losing to Mexico is like the USA men's team losing to Cuba. Julie Foudy was the only one I heard that was remotely critical.

That column was a waste of time. I'd like to offer her:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

If it's so obvious, then there should be no shortage of concrete examples to help fortify the piece.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the "here's what people are saying" device because, well, that is what people are saying. No reason to bog down in proving the obvious.

But I wonder if it has ever struck Ms. Brennan that newspapers cover baseball, basketball, football and the other things they cover not because those sports "deserve" coverage, but because readers wouldn't have bought the product if it didn't include that.

I also think, as pointed out previously, that nobody clamoring for more women's coverage wants actual coverage of the sport. There might be a story to be done on what the hell has happened to the women's game since 10 years ago when it seemed to be getting wide open. Now there aren't eight players in the entire country who can match UConn's top eight athletically. Why is that?

Downplaying Week 15 of the NFL season to highlight an achievement that approximately 1 percent of your readership cares about if you are not in Storrs or Hartford ... that'd be smart business, yeah.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does Brennan actually watch the horrible women's and girls basketball game taking place around the country?

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Sunday's UConn-Ohio State game (No. 1 vs. No. 10) is on ESPNU. That's U.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Unless you're talking about Brett Favre, Michael Vick, or Coach K, BAYBEE!!!

Back to the thread.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One more thing. I am old enough to remember than the UCLA streak got its most coverage when they finally LOST to Notre Dame and the streak ended. When they set the record, it was kind of a footnote, as people expected them to keep winning. So if UConn loses this season, and THAT gets ignored, Brennan will have a beef. Not now.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The reason why is that the media coverage women's basketball HAS gotten, much of it from boosters like Brennan, has been overwhelmingly slanted toward none other than UConn.

When top recruits turn on the teevee, who is on?

UConn.

Where do the top recruits want to go?

UConn.

Who gets even better?

UConn.

Who gets EVEN MORE of the coverage?

UConn.

Same thing applies in men's hoops with Duke, where ESPN/Vitale's constant shameless shilling has produced similar self-perpetuating results, but UConn's dominance in the women's game is much more total than Duke's in the men's.

Draft saved Draft deleted