1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta National admits two women members

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 20, 2012.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Sorry, much more than a rumor and not at all a lie.

Buddy of mine who has covered golf for years -- including many Masters -- shared this around the time Burke started her campaign. This guy (not Doug Ferguson) has no love for discrimination.

It is accurate to say the folks at the Masters backed off in the fear they would be seen as caving to Burke's demands.

So congrats, Martha. You contributed to delaying adding women to Augusta by several years. Bravo.

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I still chuckle when I think about the Burk press conference in Augusta and the guys holding up signs that read "Cook My Dinner" and "Iron My Shirt."

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Elvis impersonator will always be my favorite.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, gosh, that just proves it, then! An unsubstantiated and anonymous rumor that can never be proven or disproven, with the added bonus that it shifts the blame from the people who kicked and screamed against integration to the person who kicked and screamed for it.

Somebody stand up and say it and it will be believable. Until then it just demonstrates your own gullibility.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'm truly sorry -- remorseful even -- that what I was told years ago doesn't fit your narrative. Sometimes life doesn't turn out the way closed minds lead people to believe.

I wasn't told this by one of the "old coots," as you call them. Told by a guy with three decades in the business. A guy who has no use for the way Augusta conducted its business. He's never been afraid to speak his mind and he is anything but gullible.

I have no emotional investment in the issue. I'm glad women will be members. It is overdue. I only thought I would pass on some information rather than scream out a misinformed opinion.

6. LongTimeListener

I guess if that's what you call "information."

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

As I said, sorry someone has information that doesn't fit your narrative of what the "old coots" were quietly preparing to do.

8. LongTimeListener

I haven't seen any information. I've seen what is by now roughly your eighth-hand account of something that was supposed to happen but never did. Buy the self-serving crap if you want, but in the absence of any actual information, Occam's Razor and all -- the old coots continuing to be old coots is the likeliest answer of the bunch.

If a reporter told you this, it wouldn't be the first time a reporter said something to make himself seem more in the know. We have people who do it on here every day.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Wonderful, first I'm gullible and now a friend with three decades in the business and one of the better golf writers in the country is lying to make himself appear to be more in the know. (If you ever met the guy you'd realize in an instant how ridiculous the last part sounds).

Serious question: When you're away from the board and dealing with people in the real world, is your default reaction to belittle anything and anyone that doesn't jibe with your all-knowing views?

10. LongTimeListener

No, only the particularly stupid and naive stuff.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Chad's tweet was a bit offensive to me, but I've heard worse. He definitely should've thought before he sent it. I'm glad Augusta now has female members even if it probably took several years longer than it should have for it to happen.

12. LongTimeListener

armageddon -- would this friend be the same person as the one who you have previously said accepts Augusta National's free round in the media lottery? If so, and if he has been pushing the "it's all Martha Burk's fault" line of reasoning, that'd be a pretty darn good example of why Augusta National hands out this prize and what they're hoping to get out of it, and also of why it's a bad move for reporters to take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted