1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta National admits two women members

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Martha Burke is still an uber harpy

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That sounds like the perfect rumor -- it is completely disprovable and makes the old coots feel better about themselves.

It's a lie.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And you know this because...?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sorry. "In my opinion," it's a lie.

I thought that was understood.

But I guess there are still people dumb enough to give the old coots more credit than they deserve.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Whether they were about to do it or not when Burk started her crusade, I think it's pretty obvious that she set the whole process back by getting involved and turning it into a dick-measuring contest.

Without her involvement, I'd bet there would have been female members there 5 years ago, at least.

How long before she tries to take credit for this in a vain attempt to get back in the news? She's still alive, right?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Except Hootie and Darla Moore worked together on the $300 million capital campaign for the University of South Carolina and go way back in the banking business. So it might be true.
    I read some back stories in South Carolina media on Darla Moore and she's got a big enough bank account to donate a total of $70 million to South Carolina and $10 mill to Clemson. Also, it appears she's politically neutral. She doesn't list a party affiliation and donates to GOP and Dems alike in state races. And for those who want to attach some kind of rich, white Republican male thing to this issue, Hootie Johnson was the state director for Bill Clinton's campaign in 1996.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As per Fergie's wire story, Moore was being considered as early as 2002 and the process for her and Rice may have started as early as 2005.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/augusta-national-announces-inclusion-of-women/

Martha also seems to want to take an awful lot of the credit: "We Won."

We?

8. It's 20-fucking-12... How long does the membership process take?!!!

Horse. Shit.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No one should ever protest anything on behalf of anyone because rich white men always do the right thing.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yeah, Burk and her handful of protestors at some vacant lot in Augusta sure did "win", it just took 10 years for the victory.

This was one of those disagreements where both sides were insufferable assholes who were wrong on about most everything.

I still smile when I think about Burk saying there's no reason the Masters has to be played at Augusta National every year, so they should move it until a female member is accepted.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Except when they're not doing the right thing, but only because someone said they should.

Draft saved Draft deleted