1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta, Ga. Sports copy editor / page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jun 19, 2006.

1. WSKY

WSKY Member

Does Atlanta have more than one?

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I think what he's saying is that it's one of the larger papers in the state, save Atlanta, which would be the biggest

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. Thanks.

Atlanta is like another state compared to the rest of Georgia.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Let it be known that you're wrong when it comes to the National.

All employees now must qualify at the company tournaments (two a year) in order to be eligible to play. Now, that doesn't guarantee you a shot at playing out there, but put in your dues long enough and you'll eventually get out there. Boyette is a reasonable guy in that regard.

And the nightlife is pretty good here, you just have to know where to go.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Like I said, unless it's changed, you don't. When I applied about 3 years ago -- and was offered the job -- i was told I wouldn't be able to play. The position wasn't originally part of the sports department.

And I grew up in Augusta (I went to Evans High and Augusta State). The nightlife is lacking compared to most other cities.

6. boots

boots New Member

And where was James Brown when you needed him most?

7. Tommy_Dreamer

It doesn't matter where you work at here, you can play if you put in the time and qualify. I've never heard of anyone in the newsroom not getting the opportunity to play if they've been here long enough and (now) qualify.

And if you declined the job simply on the fact that you couldn't play the National in less than a year, then that's kind of sad in my opinion. I've been out there, it doesn't hold a candle to some of the other places I've been that are considered "National Sporting Monuments."

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It all depends on what your sporting monuments are. For someone like me, who had aspirations of professional golf, it's the holy grail of courses.

Not the only reason I turned down the job, but was a factor.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Well, if you had stayed around long enough to earn your spot to play, you would've probably gotten rewarded. But some people just can't wait I guess ;D

10. gumbojumbo

gumbojumbo Guest

How big is the staff?

11. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

sports editor
    assistant sports editor
    columnist
    preps
    minor league sports
    GA
    area golf writer

copy desk/designers are part of a universal desk, but currently have 3 people that do sports 99.99 percent of the time at the moment. This person would join that group.

p.m. me for more information

12. Tommy_Dreamer

What he said

Draft saved Draft deleted