1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta, Ga. Sports copy editor / page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jun 19, 2006.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Ability to shoot laser beams from eyes not required, but would be really cool.

The Augusta Chronicle is looking for a copy editor and page designer for our sports desk.

Team members hone their skills as editors, headline writers and designers while working with local and wire news daily – and then there's that little golf tournament each spring.

Candidates should have strong editing and design skills and at least two years of experience. College graduates with internship or college newspaper experience will be considered.

Copy editors/designers should be willing to adapt to a changing news climate – and help the Chronicle do so, as well – while maintaining the core values of newspaper journalism.

The Chronicle, owned by Morris Communications, is a 75,000 daily and 95,000 Sunday circulation morning newspaper located in east-central Georgia, across the Savannah River from South Carolina.

Send your cover letter, resume and clips to:

John Gogick
    News Editor
    The Augusta Chronicle
    725 Broad St.
    Augusta, GA 30901

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    john.gogick@augustachronicle.com.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Let it be known, unless it's changed, that this person WILL NOT play the course with the Augusta Chronicle staff following the tournament.

I think they also just switched to DTI recently, so there's that.

It's Morris owned (obviously, since Billy's there).

Augusta isn't a bad town. Typical stuff there. Nightlife is a little scarce, but you're about 2 hours from ATL and just over an hour to Columbia, S.C.

A LOT of good and great courses in the area, if you're a golfer.

3. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

What's the over/under on how long it takes Boots to slam Augusta?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The key question is: will Boots slam it from behind?

5. boots

boots New Member

HERE'S YOUR ANSWER.
    AUGUSTA IS A NICE TOWN.
    MORRIS ISN'T THE BEST OF COMPANIES.
    CAN YOU DIG IT?

6. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

All caps, eh. Very nice.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

About the same length of time it takes you to defend every Morris paper.

8. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

Let's get the facts straight. I have defended writers at Morris papers from people on this board who slam them with nothing to back it up. I have also defended writers from non-Morris papers who have been unfairly bashed. If that makes me the defender of all things Morris, so be it. I work for Morris, and I enjoy working for the chain. But I realize others do not share in that. They are entitled to their opinion of the papers and the chain. I will not dispute those opinions. I will dispute groundless personal attacks, though.

9. boots

boots New Member

Augusta has something no other city can claim.......... A life-sized statue of James Brown. ... I feel good!

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Morris sucks. [/groundlesspersonalattack]

11. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

I would think this is a pretty decent gig

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's a good gig in the South. Good-sized paper, good-sized town. One of the bigger non-Atlanta papers in the state.

Draft saved Draft deleted