1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta (GA) sheds some good people

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

The Chronicle has axed 15 more of its employees. I know one is on the desk and I just fear that more of the people I care about at that paper have been dismissed.

This is the big reason I left that bastion of Morris Communications. I could see the writing on the wall and I have a strong feeling that I would've been one of the 15 let go if I was still there. If anybody knows anymore about the cuts please either PM me or post TASTEFULLY here.

And please let's not turn this into a Morris bashing thread.

Update: At least three in the news room and two more in the composing department. In all, of the five I know who got cut, four I consider friends and three I have shared drinks with. Makes me fucking sick to my stomach how these people are out and some of the most dispcable people I know in this business are allowed to keep their jobs.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Re: Augusta sheds some good people

Don't worry, I saw Billy's jet at Bush Field this weekend for the Augusta National Fall Banquet.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Dude, I guess you're trying to be funny, but please don't. Not on this one. And if I'm overreacting please forgive me, this hits home and below the belt.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I know lots of people in Augusta. Hell, almost took a job there at one point. Grew up there as well.

Shit, I got fired by his little dipshit son or grandson, or whatever little fucking mutant he is, Charles M. Morris.

I know you're touchy, but calm the fuck down.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Dude, did you not READ what I said. "Please forgive me if I'm overreacting." I just found out about this shit and who got axed so I reserve the right to be "touchy." Let's just leave it at that and move on. I even ASKED you NOT to turn this thread into some kind of Morris bashing. I guess you can't read. Other than that, if you have a problem with the way I feel about this you know where to send your next response.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Five posts in and we're off to the races? C'mon guys, relax. All this shit hits home for someone. It sucks.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Sorry, pt. I even tried to set ground rules on this one and it didn't work. Hopefully this thing will straighten itself out.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And I get accused of being the thread police?

bd made the point that while they're cutting good people, the fatcats are getting fatter. That's all. No bashing. No need for the hurt feelings and the lashing out.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this news. Tommy, I hope you'll be able to provide some comfort to your friends if they're among those suddenly out of work.

I wish them the best of luck.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

I know it does. I just didn't want this to turn into the BASH MORRIS THREAD. We've all heard the shit before.

And Ijag,

I would've just preferred that the "joke" wasn't made. That's all. I even asked nicely. But that's what I get I guess.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Hey, T_D. My bad, yo.

It really wasn't meant to be a joke. I hate that anyone there was shed.

I wasn't bashing Morris, per se, just pointing out, like IJAG said, that Billy and the clan won't be hurting. Would be nice for him to do something to help out.

My apologies.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

It's OK, I'm just worried about these people who I've shed plenty of buckets of sweat and tears with at that place.

I know Morris' downfalls. I was with them for more than 13 years. Some of the people that got canned were with them for almost double if not more than that. And they deserved better than this. I know it's the same story at papers all over the country. It's just that I just found out about this. My emotions might be tempered if I had found this out earlier in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted