1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Audit for Virginia school which didn't do its homework...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Oct 7, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/oct/07/audit-sought-after-40000-spent-bring-nfl-player-sc-ar-1366762/

Key portions:

Awesome.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is not uncommon for a school division to bring in a speaker to address the staff before the school year to motivate them. The number usually is between $5,000 and $10,000 and about another $500 to $1000 for travel and other crap.

And that is for professional speakers.

For this guy to get this amount is insane. It's like paying $75,000 for a new Chevy Malibu. Sure, it will do the job, but the number is way too high for what he did and his experience.

I think Vitale, or a big time former athlete like Troy Aikman would command that money. And it would be a joke for a school division to pay this amount.

One thing a school can do to CYA is to start an Educational Foundation which could have looser procurement rules than using straight tax dollars.

In Virginia, to spend that amount (over $25,000) in a non-emergency situation, they would have had to advertise a Request for Proposal (RFP) and taken requests and ruled the best choice. The results of the RFP should be available at the School Board Office. You know, if they did one.

The long and short of it is someone will probably lose their job, and I would look into seeing if this player has a link to this school divsion which would mean jail is on the table for the school employee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_proposal

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you put in for bids and some UFL punter says he'll do it for $30k, do you have to take him?

4. imjustagirl

Dude, they could have had him for FREE.

5. ...that didn't do its homework.

How much are they counting off for grammar these days?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Rutgers paid about the same for Snooki.

7. imjustagirl

HAHAHA honest, true story: I wrote that, then thought, 'Wait, is that which?' I have no idea why I thought that. I'm an idiot.

Bonus points to you, good eyes.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You have rubric in place that will give scores for best price, fame, experience and any other shit you can think up. You have a few people score it and see who comes out on top.

RFP protects a school division from having to take the low bid. You want to take a good, solid, prudent choice, and many times low bid means you are just going to get shit service in the end.

You know, the 10K in hotel rooms looks worse than paying $30K for the speaker.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Not going to lie. They both sound correct to me.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is a tricky situation because, with a comma, "which" would be fine grammatically. But "that" is probably the best choice here.

"Which" is used for non-restrictive clauses. "That" is used for restrictive clauses. So the intent of the writer often comes into play.

IJAG meant for the phrase "didn't do its homework" to be a restrictive clause, I believe. The fact that the Virginia school didn't do its homework is essential to why it's audited. If she had meant for it to be a non-restrictive clause, she would have needed a comma after "school," and it would have suggested the Virginia school's failure to do its homework was not being implied as the reason for the audit.

Grammar's fun, guys.

11. imjustagirl

This thread has taken an AWESOME turn.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

So now, apparently, I need to read up on restrictive clauses. I have slept a lot since I learned about them.

Draft saved Draft deleted