1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Audio recorder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

I've searched and the latest thread I could find was in 2006, so I thought it would be OK to ask for recommendations for a new recorder? If you could provide model number I would appreciate it, thanks.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

iPhone

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

iPhone but you'll need a special cord if you want to record phone calls. And you can't record calls made on the iPhone unless you keep your old recorder. Really annoying.

For a plain digital recorder, I still use an Olympus DS-330 I bought seven years ago. So Olympus would be my recommendation.

4. Mira

Mira Member

I use a non-digital Olympus ... Pearlcorder J300.

5. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Co-sign

*Easy to use
    *Compact
    *Good playback volume/clarity
    *Easily portable into other devices

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

I use an iPod with a TuneTalk Radio attachment. It allows you to record, download to your computer and turn into MP3 files. The quality is excellent, and when transcription software improves, you will be able to feed the file in for a transcript. So far I've tried Dragon Dictation, but it has a hard time recognizing accents or conversational speech.

7. jrw

jrw Member

I use an Olympus DS-40 and absolutely love the recording quality.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used an iPod when I was still in the business. With the feature where you can run audio at half or twice speed, that's one more reason to do it.

After your transfer the file to iTunes, hit Control I and list it as an audiobook or a podcast and that enables this option. It's amazing.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If you can't go the iPhone/iPod route, I recommend the Olympus. Any model with a USB port will do. I've had three digital recorders, two Olympus and an RCA I picked up at Walmart* a few years back, when I couldn't find my original Olympus (the Olympus was so old it only recorded 45 minutes in high quality and didn't have a USB connection). Stay away from the RCA. Shitty audio quality, and for some reason it didn't record some of my interviews. I've been carrying around my second Olympus for three years, and it's still going strong. It has more than paid for itself vs. the tape recorders I used to plow through.

10. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I switched from iPod with iTalk to an Olympus after the iTalk mike cut out on me one too many times. I'm sure the iPhone is better, but I have no complaints with the Olympus. For phoners, I use a mike that fits between my ear and the phone headset.

One idea that'll do in a pinch: I was in a postgame recently and realized my Olympus batteries were dead. (Totally my fault.) I scrambled and grabbed my Blackberry, then called up the "Voice Memo" app that I believe is standard on most Blackberries. Not as flexible for playback as the Olympus, but it was nice to know I had a backup.

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I've been looking for an app forever that makes my blackberry into a voice recorder. Mine records in 30 second segments, but no longer.

If you've got a smartphone, this makes the most sense to me. If not stay the hell away from anything that has RCA on it. I got one, and I've never seen anything chew through batteries so damn fast in my whole life.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The record quality is not that great on my BB, but it's good enough in a pinch. I've used it several times when I left my Olympus at the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted