1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn's Tainted Title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As others have said, unless documentation of player payments surfaces, this will blow over just like the 2011 HBO Real Sports piece (which was almost exactly two years ago, by the way).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/sports/ncaafootball/31auburn.html?_r=0

2. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. She sucks.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

She doesn't suck. But one great gamer about the Heat/Knicks game seven does not a career make. She is an interesting thinker who writes really bad sentences and frames stories in bizarre ways. Her insistence that a bunch of Duke lacrosse players raped a stripper, and no other scenarios were possible, was extremely irresponsible. I suspect you -- or anyone -- would have a tough time citing a specific piece she did during her time at SI that was really good. Some of her backpage columns were painful to read. She's had a strange few years. I once thought she ridiculously talented. She is fearless and smart, I'll give her that. But her pure prose is stiffer than a starched collar.

5. Mizzougrad96

6. Mizzougrad96

I'll agree with the sentiment that that's just about the worst name for the sports website ever and that the web design is pretty horrid.

I hope they didn't put too much $$$ into it because it's not going to be around for long.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How would the masses even find out about the site? I only found it from this thread.

Certainly created a buzz on this one though.

8. Mizzougrad96

I had never heard of it, for some reason I thought Selena was working for one of the sites USA Today was launching...

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

This nonsense wouldn't happen if the NCAA just wised up and started to #PaythePlayers

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes, because as soon as you start paying players boosters are no longer going to want to beat out The Other Guy for recruits.

Fucking idiot.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Walter Abercrombie drove a Porsche his last season at Baylor in the early 1980s. His dad was a preacher, not exactly a high-paying profession. Whether the car was paid for by an agent, a booster or Grant Teaff himself, everybody on campus pretty much accepted that something was going on under the table.

So, yeah, this kind of thing goes on pretty much everywhere.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The NCAA could give players $100,000 per semester and there'd still be boosters and coaches slipping them more.

Draft saved Draft deleted