1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn's Tainted Title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Apr 3, 2013.

1. scottwcoleman

scottwcoleman New Member

Still having a hard time believing that legitimate draft picks would stay at Auburn for cash 'in the thousands' of dollars. If it turns out that much of this holds water, though, current HC Gus Malzahn likely goes down, and it's hard to think that there should't be an investigation of Muschamp at Texas and Florida. That is, IF the NCAA is serious about investigating and rooting it out. I've personally believed for years that college football is dirty across the board, not just at a few select schools, and there is a tacit acceptance of it as long as the NCAA can maintain plausible deniability by hammering a few scapegoats every so often.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This goes on everywhere.

The schools that have squealers and good investigative reporters on their tails get caught.

The others slide by.

And eventually get caught.

This will probably end badly for Auburn. But look on the bright side! Will Muschamp is named in this so maybe Florida winds up in some indirect hot water as well.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Were there any docs cited? It sounded like it was all sourced to former players, no cancelled checks, transcripts etc. Usually a story like this you have corroboration with an outside independent party or have something that you can hang these allegations on that isn't dependent on someone's memory.
    That said, this is the kind of thing that killed the Southwest Conference.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A closer look at Dre Kirkpatrick's recruitment probably wouldn't be cheerful news in Tuscaloosa either.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, Roberts is working on a follow about the role boosters played. That might have documentation. I hope it does for her sake.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"I actually ran into Julio in the spring recruiting. I said hello to him. I said, 'Well, I guess I’ll be seeing you at the end of August.' And then he got out and got in his Escalade and drove off. That’s serious. And then I went over and watched Burton Scott at Vigor High School at the track over there, and Burton Scott was running around. He went and got in his Escalade out at track practice and drove off. So I’m familiar with those two guys."

--Clemson's defensive coordinator, 2008

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Come on Mike. Just because you don't care doesn't mean everyone else doesn't care. I, for one, thought it was a helluva story. It would have needed more sourcing to make our paper but it's a web site. The rules are different.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

God, do you think someone will finally take down Bobby Lowder?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Throw this on the pile with the NCAA enforcement problems, Penn State, various other scandals of the week, I could see the next big scandal undermining the very core of the NCAA. Maybe it's something involving game officials, actual bribes being involved in some of the conference movement, TV programming executives tipping off schools and/or conferences about shenanigans being investigated by their news departments.
    Nothing will surprise me at this point.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, it's the cumulative effect. You already have the Cam Newton bribe angle, you have how quickly Auburn regressed on the field, then you add this story and the possibility of more to come, particularly if either a follow-up story has documentation or another writer like Wetzel starts sniffing around. That will be a lot of sharks in the water.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, my only retort is: I've heard that one before. Or are so many snowballing that The Next One will really be it?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wasn't will lyles the agent for lamichael james?

Draft saved Draft deleted