1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn University beat writer Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You'll feed a lot of your stories to the sister paper in Dothan also. Probably a plus that could help stave off travel budget cuts.

2. reporter1

reporter1 Member

Thanks Moderator,
    About time someone backs me up on here! Seriously though guys, good luck to all who apply. Tough as heck though to apply when they're so close (now three days) before football season starts. I can only imagine what it's like for those of you who are doing the hiring. Yeah, "I would be your man" if there was more time. :) Barsuk and I are in the same boat and seem to have a heck of a lot in common as well. AH

3. John

John Well-Known Member

All of Jay Tate's beat buddies are leaving him. I think we should send him some flowers.

4. Jay Tate is a douchenozzle.

re: OA. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the newspaper's upper management, but Szvetitz is one of the good guys.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Leave Jay Tate alone!!

[​IMG]

And Szvetitz is one of the good guys.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

The beat is rapidly changing. Those still there have embraced new technology, i.e. blogs and video. It's much further along using the internet than a lot of the beats I see, and undoubtedly that will play a factor in how the OA News hire will have to cover the beat.

I don't know if the OA News will soon or eventually go to video, but I"d say learning/knowing the technology couldn't hurt, not with Mobile, Birmingham and Montgomery all doing video.

I do know one thing: Those still on the beat are good people and easy to get along with.

I know one other thing: Jay Tate is not a douchenozzle; he's an ass clown.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I can attest to Mike's goodness as a boss and as a sports guy. Besides, life on the Plains isn't half bad. Atlanta's not that far away (if you've got time) and the cost of living is waaaaaaay low.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Some might even say a Chickenpoop Fart, but I wouldn't.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Allow me.

10. El Mas Chingon

El Mas Chingon New Member

11. Newbie1234

Newbie1234 New Member

Does anybody know if they have made a hire on this? Would it be too late to apply still?

12. ALMSguru

ALMSguru New Member

They've made an offer to someone already. So it looks like they've found they're man.

Draft saved Draft deleted