1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn University beat reporter: Opelika-Auburn (Ala.) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ProZackus

ProZackus New Member

Question: When these jobs ask for clips should one send in links to clips or files? ??? Thanks for any help!

2. I believe they hired a preps writer sometime less than a year ago. Dave's been in this job about three years.

3. I don't think dodah is that far off the map. I believe Andrew Gribble was just out of college when he was hired. Or almost just out of college. Put it this way: I imagine pay is entry level or close to entry level.

That said, it seems like a great job. I have met Mike a couple times at conventions and he seems like a great guy and his former writers seem to have enjoyed working for him. I've been to Auburn a few times and really enjoyed it.

4. Andrew Gribble

Andrew Gribble New Member

I guess you could say I was an entry-level candidate (four months out of college, two internships under my belt) when I took this job in 2008, but it's definitely not an entry-level position. It was a fantastic and demanding experience. You have no choice but to perform at the level of your colleagues, some of whom have been on the beat for decades.

Mike's one of the nicest guys you'll meet in this business. Couldn't recommend this job any more.

David Morrison is headed to the Greensboro News & Record. He did an outstanding job covering Auburn during some absolutely bonkers times. He'll be tough to replace.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

They want sidebars AND features. You may not qualify for this one.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Beyond the fact it mentions needing at least one year year of experience, it does use the word "immediate" in the ad.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. Even though it's not a major metro area, this is the hometown paper of a major, SEC school. You'll be going head-to-head with the big dogs from Birmingham, Mobile, Atlanta, Nashville, ESPN and elsewhere on football and basketball stuff. Plus be THE main source for all other sports. Someone who does this job well can write his/her own ticket elsewhere ... or stick around and become an Alabama legend.

I wouldn't consider this an entry-level job in the least. Good luck to all who apply.

8. If they slack-jawed your application for prep writer, it's probably not worth ya hassle to send ya slab here, right?

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Mike will hire someone excellent, no doubt. He is aces and runs a good ship.

rb

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's a university town, which makes it different from most of the rest of Alabama. Plus, no state income tax and from what I hear, reasonable property taxes, not that whoever gets this job will be looking to buy a house. Still, the point is, the cost of living seems reasonable, and if there are things to do that AU can't offer, Atlanta's just a couple of hours away and Columbus about 45 minutes. All I'm saying is, don't oversell the Alabama angle. There are worse places to be.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No state income tax? I frigging wish...

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Plus Montgomery is an hour away if you need your soul to die.

One note, Auburn is finally getting more apartments, but was starting from a lot smaller base than most college towns. Lots of AU students still do the trailer thing. So finding a place to live may be a little more tricky than expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted