1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn football beat and other sports openings with Alabama Media Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mrudi19

mrudi19 Member

I interviewed with the recruiter for one of these positions. Basically what they do is they look at your resume and if it meets their qualifications, the recruiter will interview you and then you'll send he or she your clips. That person will forward your clips and answers in the interview to the hiring manager making the hire. If the hiring manager wants to go any further, they'll call for an interview. NOLA Media Group and MLive do the same and I would imagine that Pennsylvania and Syracuse Media Groups will be doing the same thing soon since they're in the same company.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

In an era where newspapers are losing money hand over fist, clearly the most effective cost-saving measure is to pay some outside agency to hire people.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I'm also not sure how effective it is to have recruiters who don't know as much about your sports section or what kind of writers you want eliminating anybody or doing the initial interviews. Obviously these people are hired to find the best candidates, but they're not the sports editor at each newspaper.

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Basically, the whole thing is a picture of all that ails us. The wrong people making even worse decisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted