1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn fires Chizik

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not sure where Dykes will end up, but I'm guessing it will be a better job than Texas Tech, not that that's a bad job by any stretch...

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah Auburn fans did not understand the Spread O at that point. Franklin certainly knows how to put points on the board.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Tony Franklin couldn't put up points with Kodi Burns and Chris Todd at quarterback. He'll never be a winner.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re Petrino: didn't Auburn nearly lose its accreditation over boosters' wooing of him when he was at Louisville?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Usually it's just the night before a game.

Chizik had his curfew during the entire week. I didn't find anything on Meyer having an all-week curfew.

Some coaches, at least in basketball, get around the all-week curfew by scheduling 6 a.m. practices, which theoretically, the players go to bed early, and they have the rest of the day for classes or hanging out.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Chizik had one good year, and I think we all know that it was because Cam Newton was a paid mercenary.

That said, no coach at Auburn is going to have sustained success until the school gets a president and an AD with the stones to tell Pat Dye and Bobby Lowder to stay the hell away from the program and confine their involvement to watching on Saturdays. They've cut the knees off every Auburn coach since Dye left.

7. Mizzougrad96

Very true. Wasn't it Lowder who was so involved in trying to lure Petrino from Louisville when Tuberville was there? It's not to say the other SEC schools don't have issues with boosters, but Auburn seems to have more (at least public) than others...

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Lowder isn't the alpha booster he once was. Having your bank go tits up and seized by the Feds will take a little starch out of anyone.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'd heard that as well (probably from someone here...).

The pending NCAA sanctions will also impact this hire and is yet another reason why Petrino would be perfect.

In all likelihood, Auburn isn't going to be able to make a huge hire. Petrino is damaged enough that he is probably the closest they're going to get. They're not going to be able to make a hire that would have the impact of a Saban, Meyer or Gruden...

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not only that, but he's not even on the Board of Trustees at Auburn anymore. The power trustee at Auburn now is this guy:

http://www.harbert.net/united-states-real-estate/investment-team/

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Does he gets to keep the sleeveless, high-collared white windbreakers? I'm pretty sure that would devestate him if they took those back.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No, those will be donated to needy dentists.

Draft saved Draft deleted