1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn fires Chizik

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 26, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm biased, but I don't think Auburn is a better job than Tennessee's, if for no other reason than UT fans are SEC-level delusional, but Auburn fans are 10x more so.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Auburn's fans are the most delusional in the SEC and that's saying something...

3. I agree.

Auburn is closer to UCLA in my estimation.

The school has what two titles in its history and only one (2010 - CAM!!!) since the 1960s.
    The coaching list is not that impressive; Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville?
    Dye won four conference titles but couldn't bag a national title.

I think Auburn would be a bad situation. Because 1: It's NOT Alabama, but its fans have all the expectations of the Tide fans.
    And because its not Alabama it's not the top school in the state and therefore will not attract the top-talent coaches.
    I can see Petrino getting a shot there.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Donations and grassroots support would evaporate quickly if Petrino were hired at Auburn.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's absolutely false.

Auburn is a worse job than Tennessee or Arkansas right now because Alabama sets the standard for what Auburn fans expect. Anyone who takes the Auburn job must be ready to go toe-to-toe with the best coach and recruiting staff in the country for at least a few more years.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps low on the list in relation to the serious problems that you mentioned but don't forget about the mass shooting that left two Auburn players dead.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd characterize Chizik as "the mighty." He's had one good season in his entire coaching career, largely thanks to the dubious acquisition of Cam Newton.

He had a 5-19 record at Iowa State, was always viewed with suspicion and skepticism by Auburn fans, and booted after four seasons. One great season inserted into a pile of mediocre crap does not make "mighty."

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No, it's not. Petrino may be a good coach. But the stench of his philandering AND repeated lies to his superiors, not to mention quitting on the Falcons during the season, would not overcome the desire by the grassroots fans to win or go toe-to-toe with Alabama.

Plenty of other candidates to choose from without his monumental baggage.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't think the average fan gives a shit about that. The guy wins. He's the best coach who definitely is available.

I get why an athletics director would not even consider hiring him. But fans would be thrilled. Many Arkansas fans want him back.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You leave Dykes name out of this. Get him on the next plane to Lubbock. Stat.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Figure of speech, a play on words Stoney. Give it a rest. Chizik has something that many coaches will never have, a national championship. That, in my opinion, is a mighty big achievement.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's worth mentioning that Dykes' offensive coordinator at La Tech is Tony Franklin, who was last seen around Auburn cleaning out his desk after Tuberville fired him five games into the 2008 season.

Draft saved Draft deleted