1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn can't sell football tickets/operate in black

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Nov 13, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And home SEC fans do everything in their power to make sure opposing fans don't feel welcome. It can be a pretty dangerous experience to wear the opposing colors in Gainesville, Tuscaloosa or Knoxville.
    Also, this is a problem with big-time college football and the NFL: they've made the in-stadium experience so horrendous (unless you're rich enough for a sky box or luxury deck, with and good parking) at the same time made the in-home experience so good (high-def, multiple replays, graphics, Sunday Ticket, Red Zone, fantasy info, the technology of the TVs, etc.) I've been in a few of those expanded SEC stadiums, Fans are sitting in spaces designed for 140-pound people, in September and October when it's still in the 80s and 90s with vastly over-priced concessions and facing long walks to their cars and traffic.
    It sucks to go to a football game anymore, unless it's your favorite high school.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hostility from opposing fans is one thing, disdain from the administration is another.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Georgia fans have been known to buy Georgia Tech season tickets in years when the Bulldogs play in Atlanta, purely for that one game. Tech has tried to stop it, but it's hard given the limited availability of road tickets from Georgia (and the fact that no one wants Tech tickets).

The old joke, of course, is "I left two Tech tickets on my windshield so someone would take them, and when I came back I had four!"

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My impression is that Georgia fans don't do that so much any more. Tech charges a premium price for that game (not unusual, but still), and IIRC they've added a donation requirement for season tix. None of which mattered last year. It was a 50/50 crowd.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's also some links on there to schools struggling to sell student tickets.

For $40, kids can get get drunk for two nights and watch the local U. With their friends on TV for the price of one ticket. It's not worth it for them to head out to the stadium.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Can you imagine any other area of commerce where suppliers would avoid selling their product on the open market for the best price out of fear that it will be purchased by consumers wearing the wrong color shirt?

Sports are weird.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They are much, much worse than NFL fans.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

SEC has hotter fans

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, then I'd like to see some naked SEC women. What's all this Ole Miss poon I've been hearing about?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

links or pics or GTFO

http://poonsec.blogspot.com

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In terms of taunting and generally being given a hard time, it's probably worse at college games. In terms of actually taking your life in your hands wearing the wrong colors, NFL is on its own level.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

True. You're definitely more likely to get stabbed at a Raiders game,

Draft saved Draft deleted