1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kevin Price, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dicky_Dunn

Dicky_Dunn New Member

I find it very interesting how this thread has developed. As recently as six months ago, it would have been the older, experienced guys bitching about how they get passed over for jobs like this because papers can pay young, inexperienced kids less. Now, the younger kids are bitching because they're being passed over for older, more experienced writers who are currently out of a job.

I guess it's just one more sign of the times.

And RangerBear, if you or anyone else in the newspaper business have the opportunity to "go back to television," you'd be crazy not to take it. There's a lot less chance you're going to get laid off or bought out there.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You could go to Stillwater and eat dryer lint for a year.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Um, there are tons of papers/editors willing to give high-quality chances/beats to younger writers, even at the highest levels of the business...

That is, in fact, the predominating trend these days, and is much more prevalent than giving them to older, or, god forbid, old, ones, who, after all their years of service, and, yes, experience, may have earned and deserve to be given a shot at taking a step up the ladder.

Career-wise, these days, I would much rather be 25 than I would 35, or 45, or 55.

There's absolutely no question about it.

4. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

Back on topic, who ever takes this job is definitely going to have to relocate quickly and then get the ball rolling in a hurry. Not the ideal situation for a SE I'm sure.

5. Tenhut

Tenhut New Member

Kevin is a nice guy, works more than he should and doesn't spend all day talking about how much he's worked, doesn't pass the buck, doesn't rip his colleagues, doesn't play favorites and does not walk around with a knife in his hand. Your back is more than safe, and how many can say that?
    He is in the minority in many ways.

6. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

I've been out of touch with the civilized world the past week or so. Have they already filled this job considering Auburn's season starts in less than 48 hours?

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Not sure if he's new or not -- I don't think he is -- but Jerry Rutledge wrote most of the stuff yesterday for the L-E.

8. Luke Brietzke

Luke Brietzke New Member

Jerry's the preps reporter for the LE. The job is still open, but interviews start soon.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you live in Auburn, beware the collar-poppers. They are in high numbers there.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

collar-popper?

11. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Ugggh...is there any part of the country where people don't pop their collars??

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never seen so many people do it so much as they did in Auburn.

But there is some place in town that serves fishbowl alcohol. That's all I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.