1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kevin Price, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reporter1

reporter1 Member

You applying Slappy?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'm just kidding, man. But seriously, why not apply and see what comes of it? If you get an offer you can't refuse, you might be moving! If you get an offer you can't accept, then don't take the job.

At worst, they'll have your resume for when a better situation comes about.

3. reporter1

reporter1 Member

I know Bullwinkle, you're cool, unlike some in other posts (STillwater Okla.). You hit the nail on the head. When are you going to pull a rabbit out of your hat for us? :)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's nothing up his sleeve.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

6. jps

jps Active Member

careful, bull ... you're making a friend out of the poster all the mean SportsJournalists.com bullies wanna stuff in a locker ... ;)

7. GettingOut

GettingOut New Member

A little background on the job: The last two Auburn beat writers have lived in Auburn and rarely, if ever, were called upon to do desk work. I'm guessing the pay range is typical of most publications in its circulation size-- low-30s to low-40s, depending on your level of experience. I can also vouch for Kevin Price being a consummate professional as well as a great person.

8. reporter1

reporter1 Member

Jps, quit starting crap, and let serious people in here have a serious conversation. Moderator, you're seeing all of this, and I'm letting it go, but have a heart. There's a serious difference btwn wanting to do something and having the frijoles to do it. You want to stuff me in a locker for what? Please explain. Did I hit a wittle nerve? Sniff That said, back to what we're in here for gettingout, is there any more info you have about this particular position? If so, please post anything else you know about it all.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Attitude much?

Getting back on point, the job posting said the candidate is expected to live in Auburn (and compared to Columbus, that is a positive mercy). And you can make $30-40k stretch a whole lot further in East Alabama than in most places.

10. jps

jps Active Member

it was sarcasm, r1. guess it was too high to get hold of. next time I'll be sure to use the blue font for you. jeez.

as far as the gig goes, though, this is a great place to be. I would also think this would pay around 33 or 34k, maybe? probably more for more experience. I've never worked with him directly, but have spoken to people who have, and kevin price is good people by all accounts.

auburn itself is a typical college town, which a younger person would certainly dig. I would think it's a good place for family, too, really. about two hours or so to the beach and both atlanta and birmingham are close and offer tons of entertainment, etc.

I would guess it's pretty muggy about now, but the fall and spring is pretty nice. be ready to eat some bad weather from the gulf from time to time.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You are so good, no application necessary!

(I'll let somebody else tell you you're hired.)

12. Dicky_Dunn

Dicky_Dunn New Member

... Must be something wrong with the hat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.