1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ATUAO: Running 2009 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

You're out. You don't have to suck up to Julio anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Toronto Star's golf guy Dave Perkins had a Q&A for his online readers at the end of his column today.

This one is kinda funny.

Question

Hi Dave,

Do you believe that Mike Weir of Bright's Grove Ontario has any chance of winning another major? I think, unfortunately for Canadian golf fanatics, Mike Weir of Bright's Grove Ontario will have difficulty winning again on the PGA tour. Don't get me wrong, I like Mike Weir of Bright's Grove Ontario. I follow his play when ever the chance arises. When do you think Mike Weir of Brights Grove Ontario will be known in the Canadian media as Mike Weir?

Ron Svelnis, Gamebridge
    Answer

The reader seems upset that Weir's home town is named. There are people in his home town who are upset when it isn't named. What would everyone say if we said he's a resident of Utah?

Anyway, there's no reason Weir cannot win again, but it will take four good days of putting. His ball-striking has been very good at times, his wedge and bunker games are top-level and his fitness and work ethic matches almost anyone's. What holds him back is his putting. But lots worse putters than Weir win out here every now and then; it requires a hot week with the short stick and he is still capable at that. He turns 39 next month, which isn't old for this sport. He's well into the back nine of his career, but he isn't anywhere near the 18th hole

http://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/article/615620

There's also a funny story in the article about getting tickets to the Masters for a former Managing Editor. Guy didn't realise that scalpers didn't take credit cards.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Scott Van Pelt doing the interviews at the Par 3 - For his sake, I hope the truck has him on a delay. I could see him snapping and just going off on all the Masters hooey.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Anybody see Gary Player's "ace" on No. 9 today? He dunked his first shot, teed it up and knocked it in the hole for a 3. That's always been my fear. My first "hole-in-one" will come on my second tee shot.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No doubt, TwoGloves. That or making an ace while playing without witnesses.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My dad did that. He asked me to go play with him but I was pissed off at him so I didn't go. He tees off on No. 10 and knocks it in the hole. Playing alone. Fortunately, there was a guy changing his shoes in the parking lot and he walked to the hole with him, watched my dad pull it out of the cup and was his witness.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And Ross Fisher vaults to the early lead at 3 under through 6.

The same Ross Fisher who went 15 over, 76-79 MC at Bay Hill two weeks ago.

Picture perfect day in Georgia, btw.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nick Watney, my dark-horse in the pool, eagled No. 2. Then gave one back with a bogey at No. 3. Putz.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Billy Mayfair, thanks for coming. You can pick up your parting gifts at the door.

+6 thru 10.

Edit: +8 after a double at 11.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nick Watney is my dogs' favorite golfer, for what it's worth. They'd be quite happy if he won.
    Watney is what we put out for them to drink, in several places in and out of the house.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mike Weir of Bright's Grove, Ontario is Even after four, along with about twenty other guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted