1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attorney targets alleged terror ties in case of runaway girl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Sep 2, 2009.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I can understand why a nutty, Muslim-hating Christian would love this story.

It has everything: scary mooslems!, white Christians swooping in for the rescue, the gubmint getting in the way of Christian enlightenment, etc.

The fact there are holes in her story and her foster Facebok family are weirdos? We'll just ignore that. Go Captain America Jesus Go!

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Well when she's given back to her parents and her ass is suddenly in Sri Lanka wearing a burka to hide her beat marks, then get back to me.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I promise, when that happens, I will.

Just like you'll promise to get back to me when she rejoins the cheerleading squad at her high school.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is she going to wear the burka while cheerleading? This is confusing.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The more than comes out about this, the more it looks worse... for the people who took her in.

Her father isn't the first to call Global Revolution Church, or those like it, a cult. Here's an interesting story that includes links to video sermons by the "apostle," Blake Lorenz, who claims the current financial crisis is, you guessed it, a sign of end times and Jesus' return (
    ), and who claims to have met Jesus personally in his bedroom (
    ). Worse yet, he was once a member of the Cubs' organization:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=lorenz001bla

She also got advice from someone affiliated with another organization branded as a cult, the Kansas City-based International House of Prayer (yeah, IHOP). It operates services 24/7. Really, there's ALWAYS a service going on.

This poor girl has gotten sucked in by some nutty people. I somehow doubt her father will literally kill her, not when he allowed her already to prance around in a cheerleader dress. Is he upset at her conversion? Probably. Would your Christian family be upset if you became a Buddhist? But I get the feeling this story is less about crazy MOOOSLIMS!!!!! and more about crazy Christians. For example, why shouldn't Lorenz be arrested for not reporting to the police he was harboring a child that had been reported missing?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Who left this pile of inconvenient truths lying here? Don't you realize you're getting in the way of a pseudo-Christian talking point?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Holy shit, IHOP!?!?! No lie, a girl who grew up two doors down from me (and who was smoking hot, and I just found out recently, used to love "performing" on video) is now married to a kook who is part of IHOP. I've know the guy she married since HS when he was one of the leaders at a youth group I did some stuff with. He also played in a Christian rock band with another guy I was friends with in HS. No lie, they covered Bulls on Parade and other rock songs set to more religious lyrics, though I couldn't understand them. But it was kinda cool back then.

Anyway, dude is batshit insane and a total farce of a Christian, especially with the way he treated and treats his mother-in-law. I can't say for sure that IHOP is a cult, but I'm pretty sure I know more about it than anyone else on this board does, and they're totally fucking nuts.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Next you'll be blaspheming about Waffle House, damn you!

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The parents of the girl have said publicly that their daughter can remain a Christian if she comes home. As for any repercussions if she is returned to Ohio, I would think the police and whatever state agency who deals with children will be watching them carefully. I don't think it would be in their best interests if she was returned home, then found to be beaten or worse. The suspect pool would be very small.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted