1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attorney: OKC bombing tapes were doctored

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090928/ap_on_re_us/us_oklahoma_bombing_video

The Daily Oklahoman has a different view ...

http://www.newsok.com/lawyer-says-bombing-tapes-edited/article/3404585

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So why are we just now hearing about this in 2009?

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

From further down in the story:

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What's the motive for this alleged tape-doctoring?

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

So we can find the real bombers [/OJ]

6. Inky_Wretch

I'd guess the theory is the tapes show accomplices fleeing the scene.

The people who believe in the Andreas Strassmeier theory will lap this up.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The Oklahoman is one of the most conservative papers you're going to find. If they think there's nothing to whatever the new "theory" is, then maybe this Trentabue guy is barking up the wrong tree.

BTW Inky.. what's the Andreas Strassmeier theory?

8. Inky_Wretch

Strassmeier, a German, was involved with the militia movement in the USA. He spent a lot of time at Elohim City, near the Oklahoma-Arkansas border, when McVeigh did. Depending on which version of the theory you hear, "Andy the German" is considered to be either the mastermind behind the whole thing or was John Doe #2, who several witnesses saw with McVeigh in the days between the rental of the truck and April 19.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcveigh/moreconspirators.html

The conspiracy theories go on to speculate that Strassmeier, the son of a former German parliament member, was working for the Feds as an informant. Robert Millar, who ran Elohim City, actually was an FBI informant. The thinking (in some circles) is the FBI or some other alphabet agency has covered up the roles of Strassmeier and/or Millar in the bombing because they were working for the Feds.

Strassmeier, FWIW, has allegedly gone completely underground since the OKC bombing. He's not surfaced in the US or Germany.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't subscribe to these conspiracy theories. I have a friend who lost her mother in the Murrah Building. Because of that, I used to read a lot about the case.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks for the info. I covered the bombing and its aftermath when I worked down there, so I've tried to keep up with the case. I hadn't heard that one. There sure seems to be a full-court press by the wacko fringe to try and implicate the government somehow.

10. He's on Facebook. (half) Seriously.
    Man, the Guvment is way behind the times.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I do think it's weird they never found John Doe No. 2. They were so clear about him right afterward, that he had been with McVeigh at the truck rental, etc. If he was an FBI informant, that would certainly explain why that whole line of investigation just went away. People don't like to think their government is killing them in pursuit of the bad guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted