1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attn: sj.com Colorado

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Is the University of Colorado located in Boulder? I see a U of C at Colorado Springs and a U of C at Denver also.

Here's the deal: A prof. at my school who won some award earned his undergrad at the University of Colorado at Boulder. It's getting mentioned in the university magazine. The question we have is if "University of Colorado" implies the Boulder campus, much like "Indiana University" implies the Bloomington campus or if we need the Boulder designation?

Muchos gracias.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

University of Colorado is in Boulder, but there's probably some satellite campuses.

Also, Mork climbed the goal post at the University of Colorado.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Since there are many kids here :D I figure I better post this ...

Pam Dawber was one of my first crushes.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It certainly implies Boulder.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Copy is changed.
    Thanks to those involved.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nanu, nanu. (Or however you spell it.)

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If its the University of Colorado why is it referred to as CU, much like Oklahoma is referred to as OU? I've always wondered about this. Is it a Big 12 thing?

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Blame Barnett and Neuheisel.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It's actually an old Big 8 thing. Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma and Nebraska all did it. I can't recall why, but I know it was a uniform Big 8 thing.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If it implies University of Colorado, yes, that's the Boulder campus, but there are other satellite CU campuses (Springs, Pueblo).

The CU/not UC thing was done mostly to avoid confusion with the University of California (UC) system, but I read somewhere one time that a lot of schools do it like that (Denver--DU, Oklahoma--OU, Kansas--KU, etc.) because it's just a Western thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted