1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attn NYCSJ.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Aug 2, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Our pal, Songbird, is in NYC. He told me he would pay for any SJ members dinner who showed up at Wolf's Deli at 5 p.m.

He would have posted this himself, but his phone is sucking right now.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5!?! I didn't realize Xan was retirement age.

I mean, who eats dinner at 5 p.m. in the summer?

3. KYSportsWriter

Inky, he said the person who's paying eats dinner at 5 p.m. in the summer.

And BTW, he pushed dinner time to 6 if you're interested in meeting him.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm so far from NYC I might not make it until Sunday at 6 p.m.

I was just taken aback by how early he was having dinner. I normally don't eat in the summer until 8-ish.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A tempting offer.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If I weren't on desk, I'd get in my car...and get there at 11 p.m.

7. Piotr Rasputin

I also want to meet Songbird. Heard way too many great stories from mutaul friends and former co-workers.

EDIT: If he's on the West side like I think he is (sue me for being a West coast guy and knowing nada about NYC delis), I'm on my way.

8. KYSportsWriter

Hope ya'll found the restaurant.

Haven't heard from Xan since about 5:30ish...

9. Piotr Rasputin

Found the restaurant (sort of).

Met three good people tonight. Had a nice time. I guess the "out of context quote of the night" would be PaperDoll expressing a love for snakes.

Seriously, nice to put faces and names to the . . .uh, screen names.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thanks to KY for posting the initial invite, and thanks to hockeybeat, Piotr Rasputin and Paper Doll for showing up. I screwed up thinking Wolf's Deli was still open. It's not. I was thinking of Carnegie Deli on 7th and East 55th. I also walked about 96 blocks trying to find it. But we all found each other.

I had a blast A) in NYC (been there dozens of times and it never gets old), and B) spending 5 or so hours with three new friends. Meeting new people in a city like NYC takes a lot of edge off. Hockeybeat, Piotr and PaperDoll are fun, cool folks, and there wouldn't have been an edge anyway. Easygoing people to hang out with.

Piotr and PaperD clicked right away with their love of soccer (MLS chat was invigorating) and disdain for Bruce Arena's ability to make reporters want to crack their heads against walls during his Red Bull-fueled pressers that were about as thrilling as nuns fucking.

So ... Piotr, if I were a woman, I probably would've married you after seeing how long, and what you can do with, your tongue. Impressive piece of flesh there.

Hockeybeat, the convo about hockey at dinner was enjoyable since you could relate to my love (and falling out of love with) the Kings. You should definitely e-mail the person I said to work up a few coins, and I'll be the first in line to buy your book.

PaperD ... you're a good sport -- great sport; great sense of humor -- considering the fun I had at your expense at Toys R Us. As for that dirty bum whose cup I filled on the way to the train station, and you wondered why, it's because of the whole pass-it-forward thing. I also asked him what he wanted to be when he was a kid, and he said a teacher. I asked if he'd ever become one and he said no. I also told him that at some point he's going to have to get his ass at some point and make something of his life (that might have been a bit harsh on my part).

I hope to be up there again in the next 10 days. It'd be great to catch up again, or someone catch a Red Bulls game with any or all of you.

Cheers, and thanks again for showing up.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So if Wolf's is not open, where did you go?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We went to Central Park to relax for a bit. I just wish hockeybeat would've eaten one of my candied apples :D

On the way to wherever we were going, Piotr and I almost got hit by a double-decker bus when we crossed the street illegally.

We ended up at a Mexican place, where I had alcohol for the first time in a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted