1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attn: Internet gamblers (poker and sports)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bill Frist attached the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act to a port security Bill. It passed.

Don't know if this means you should empty your PartyPoker and BetUS accounts. But pay attention to it.

I think horse racing sites like Thoroughbets are unaffected by this legislation.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is such bullshit, absolute bullshit.
    And it's hypocritical.
    Fucking hypocritical Puritanical bastards.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It'll be legal once the gov't figures out how to get their cut.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They're not going to be able to police it.
    But it fucking sucks on principle.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All I know is that a lot of 'Pubs in tight November races are going to be made aware
    how many of their previously-loyal supporters like to play poker, online.

Like it . . . a lot.

And I've never played poker online in my life.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention that the current homepage art at:

www.eog.com

is hilarious.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

How are you going to pay to participate in online gambling now?

Send them a check?

8. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Hows this affect third party sites like Neteller?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We'll see. Know more in a week . . . a good deal more, in a month. Justice has previously
    expressed incredulity that the horses can get a carveout others can't. And you can
    bet there's going to be considerable lack of enthusiasm from the banking industry re
    lending a helping hand to this nonsense. The banking lobby repeatedly expressed their
    tangible opposition to this added burden, all summer. But campaigner Frist didn't give a shit.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A few weeks back, in anticipation of college and NFL football, I tried to deposit money into my online account (which I've had for several years with no problems) with William Hill, a huge bookie operation based in the UK and was told it couldn't be authorized because of the heat that the feds are placing on the credit card companies. I know people who have accounts with other online bookies who have got the same answer.

All of a sudden I'm reading stories about the evils of online gambling in the Economist and the Toronto Star among other outlets. My question is this: why is this such a hot topic now? Online gambling has been around for a number of years now and I would think there's a lot more bet on poker online than sports.

Ben's point about the banking industry is one I've wondered about. Why would VISA or Mastercard etc. give a shit how their cards are used as long as they get their money back with exorbitant interest? Is there a movement down there to make online gaming legal in the US through places like Caesars etc.? Is that where all this heat is coming from?

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

My point is: there is a paper trail to any offshore site.

I don't think it would be that difficult for authorities to track down individual violators.

12. deportes

deportes Member

blame vegas...

Draft saved Draft deleted