1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attn: D-1 college football writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JFT, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Why the triple quoting there Fenian?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You sure it's not the 3-3-5?

3. JFT

JFT Member

Went dyslexic for a sec, Doc. It IS a 3-3-5

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

One of my greatest sources of humor is reading writers who try to make it sound like they know what they are talking about when discussing 3-4 defenses in football, matchup zones in basketball, famous golf-course architects, etc., and do so with the kind of arrogance that says, "Hey, Dummy, I know all about this stuff and am an expert."

Whatever. Like, who really cares about a 3-4 defense, let alone will take the time to read about it? Zzzzzzzz.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It tells readers what to look for when they're watching a team. Before I even entered the business, I loved to read scouting reports in the Trib and the Sun-Times. We're not trying to sound like experts, we're trying to better inform our readers of the schemes their favorite teams like to run.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Someone already mentioned Virginia. That was the first team that came to mind. Not as sexy, but Kent State is going to be using a 3-4 this year. Penn State may have the best backers in the country, and even thought they will probably stick with a base 4-3, they may show 3-4 a lot.

7. I have no fucking clue what happened there.

8. JFT

JFT Member

Thanks, Ragu. Kent State is a good one. As far as clutchcargo goes, fuck him. He's one of these guys in our business who was picked last for sandlot football as a kid and never got over it (See Mike Lupica).

9. Stanford has used the 3-4 for the past few seasons, I believe.

10. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Maryland

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

North Texas just switched to the 3-4.

Lock, stock and bandits.

12. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

Stanford
    New Mexico
    Houston
    Lousiana Tech
    New Mexico St.
    Navy
    Kent State
    And of course, Virginia

Not many good defenses in that bunch. One of the problems is you need a real dymanic NG who can tie up a couple of blockers and free inside LBs to make tackles. Also need some really versatile OLBs who are big enough to rush, fast enough to cover. If nose isn't great, inside LBs have to take on guards, generally not a great matchup.

Seems like more teams run 3-3-5

Draft saved Draft deleted