1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attn: D-1 college football writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JFT, Aug 29, 2006.

1. JFT

JFT Member

Hey fellas,
    Working on a story about colleges using the 3-4 defense, which has been used by NFL teams to win five of the last six Super Bowls. Can you guys think of any D-1 colleges currently using the 3-4? I know USC implemented a strong variation of it this offseason. However, that's the only D-1 program I can think of that's using it. Thanks for your help.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Most colleges avoid the 3-4 because their linebackers aren't big enough to shed offensive guards. There just aren't enough 6-4, 260-pound linebackers to go around at that level for someone to go 3-4. I'd look for a school that maybe has produced some large LBs the last few years and see if maybe they went 3-4?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Virginia.
    Call and ask to speak to the defensive assis *** oh, wait.

But Virginia uses the 3-4.

4. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

I cover the New Mexico State Aggies (owners of the longest losing streak at 13 and a year removed from Hal Mumme's 0-12 rookie season). Anyway, defensive coordinator Woody Widenhofer was the DC at Pittsburgh for two of their four Super Bowls in the 1970s, he coaches the 3-4 as well as anyone, despite last year's record.

He had success at Vandy when he coached it there, although their offense was lacking. Last year, his Mike linebacker, Jimmy Cottrell, led the nation in tackles with 179. Woody is a good source for the 3-4, despite last year's record. He can compare its success and failures at both levels as he has coached the 3-4 at both levels.

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

I thought Woody had retired/left NMSU. Is he still around?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Time to make the doughnuts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Penn State would occasionally use a 3-4 look last season.
    There was talk they wouldswith to a 3-4 this season. While Joe Paterno has nixed the idea, the Lions, who have arguably the most talented linebacking unit in the nation,will likely have spot use of the 3-4.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

He's also a good source for Grey Goose and Budweiser and ways to avoid DUI citations.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, West Virginia uses some form of a 3-4 defense.

10. JFT

JFT Member

Mountaineers use a 3-5-3.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't know if you're counting I-AAs, but Liberty uses a 3-4.

12. The Reverend Falwell likes to have rushers off the edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted