1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attire for all-day job interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jul 12, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The thing I've noticed about some newspapers is this: They know you're dressing up to impress them. They know if you come in with a jacket/suit that you're just playing to expectations.

But they'll probably notice if you don't do that.

I don't think you can go wrong with the jacket/suit. If they take you outside and it's 90, just take the jacket off. As long as you're wearing a shirt and tie, big deal. Just make sure if you expect to be outside a while that you don't wear a dark colored shirt that will show off your perspiration. ;)

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

boots would like to remind you to wear pants.

3. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Thanks so much, guys. Big help in my preparation. From the sound of things, I should go ahead and stick with the suit and adjust accordingly if need be.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you're more comfortable in a suit, go ahead.

Shirt and tie would be fine, but go with what makes you comfortable.

Henry is right, though.

Whenever I'm checking how a guys is dressed, I check to see if the shoes are polished. That tells you they prepared for whatever the occasion is.

Shine those shoes.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yes.

Look, if it's that hot, you are not going to be appreciably more comfortable dressed more casually. Wool breathes. You aren't going to be outside much, probably.

In 1985 I had an interview on a very hot day. Probably mid-90s and humid. AME decides we're going to walk three blocks to lunch, walk three blocks back. He was wearing that "hippest-teacher-in-high-school" uniform, jeans and a sports jacket. I think my suit pants were a lot thinner than his jeans. And he was kinda fat. And he was older than me. I was not feeling so good after we got back to the office, but I figured if anyone was gonna croak, it'd be him. He had to be more miserable than I was.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Apropos to nothing at all, by the way: I can't see this thread title and not sing to myself, for some reason, "All-day interview, and dinner on the grounds."

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Just wear sleeves and you'll be fine.

8. I think a shirt and tie (with pants) is more than fine. It's freakin' summer and whenever I see a guy in a suit headed into an interview for a journalism job he always looks uncomfortable, especially compared to the editors wearing business casual.

My own personal bias is if you're wearing a suit you're trying to over-compensate for something ... lack of experience, what have you ... I look mighty confident and comfortable striding in with my shirt, tie (and pants).

I'm a sort of shocked to see some of you guys getting away with shorts and jeans on a daily basis ... is it just because you work in sports? Are the newsies really dressing like that as well? I've worked at three papers. Two allowed no tie but one made me wear a tie every day but Fridays. Can't imagine working in shorts but I wouldn't complain.

As for shoes, I wear black sneakers every day without fail, even if I'm wearing a tie and a jacket. Encourages me to stay on my feet rather than sit at my desk.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

People who work in news dress pretty badly, too. Trust me.

10. I agree. Shirt and tie doesn't automatically put you in GQ.

I can be pretty awful. I have this one golf shirt that I love. The problem is the collar sort of folds up awkwardly no matter how many times I iron the fucker ... still wear it, though. It's my color. Makes my eyes pop. :D

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I almost never wear shorts to the office. Only reason would be if I'm actually off that day, and just need to stop in and check my mailbox or something. Or if I'm on my way to covering a baseball game or a track meet or something outdoors.

Jeans, however, would probably be my most likely form of pants. Fits in with the rest of the writers on our floor. I have little idea how the newsies dress. They work on an entirely different floor, and I rarely venture down there.

Of course, all this was before I got a beat where I do most of my work from home. So now I wear boxer shorts and no shirt to work. Well, not really, but I could if I wanted.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have never in my life worked a job that required a tie; not in journalism, nor in the corporate world.

Any paper requiring shirt and tie better be offering a wardrobe allowance, or they can fuck off.

Draft saved Draft deleted