1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention Yuengling Fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 15, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I just returned to my Tampa home from a week-long trip. My garage refrigerator (the "beer fridge") is stocked with both Yuengling and Shiner Bock. And I have nowhere to be for three days. :)

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We also see the mighty Y around here in NE Mississippi and NW Alabama.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Mmmmm ... Deschutes. Lots o' good beers in the Washington/Oregon slice of heaven.

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

After hearing the fans of this brew sing its praises, finally got a chance to be in a Yuengling area a couple weeks back. Brought home a bomber, put it in the fridge and cracked it open earlier this evening. Not gonna go full-on beer geek on ya, but my quick review is as follows:

Looks awesome- love the amber color. However it has an off-putting, metallic odor and taste/aftertaste with a lack of body to it.

Passes a major test: BTB (Better Than Bud). Other than that....meh. It's ok as far as macros go, and certainly has more malt/less filler than most mass-produced brews. I'm certainly glad I got to finally sample it, and at $1.39 for a bomber (I believe the case of cans where I got it was somewhere around $14/15) it's a decent value for what you get. It's not horrible, and it's drinkable to an extent. I'm certainly not going to dismiss Ying-Yang drinkers- keep on swilling this rather than the other crapola out there. But I'm not going to make any special trips to pick up a sixer, either.

While there I also picked up some Brewery Ommegang products (Ommegang Abbey is fabulous, one of the best beers I've had the opportunity to sample in the past year or two; looking forward to the Hennepin, Rare Vos and Three Philosophers), some Middle Ages Brewery (cellaring a bottle of their Dragonslayer Russian Imperial Stout for the cooler months and chilling a Ye Olde Kilt Tilter Wee Heavy Scottish Ale), a Southern Tier Imperial Red Ale (hadn't seen a commercially brewed Imperial Red before, but have attempted to homebrew a really big Irish Red a couple times-still don't have a recipe that's to my liking) and a Southampton Publick House Imperial Porter. If you are in the Rochester, NY area and are a beer lover, make the time to stop at Beers of the World in Henrietta. It's an awesome beer store.

Next week- Minnesota! Gotta find me some Surly Furious. [/beersnob]

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You drank it out of a can, then?

Silly child. Beer is best from a glass, second-best from a glass bottle and completely worthless from a can.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Nope..bought a bomber (22oz glass bottle) poured into an Imperial Pint glass. Just gave the price of the can case (as well as the single bomber) in the previous post to give an idea of the decent value Yuengling brings monetarily (if not so much taste-wise IMO).

Don't get too snobbish about cans. Some of the premier micros are being offered in cans (since the technology for canning has improved greatly in the past few years, plus it's supposedly easier to control the CO2/O2 levels and keeps light from ruining the brew in addition to being easier to tote around while having fun in the sun since many outdoor places don't allow glass). See Surly Brewing, which I mentioned above. They're a new brewery that's getting rave reviews for their beer (had their SausageFest Smoked Belgian Ale at last summer's Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison, WI and it was outstanding), including their two canned offerings (Furious (IPA) and Bender (Brown Ale)).

I too prefer draft and bottled beer, but I'm not going to argue with the folks putting good beer in cans, either.

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I stumbled across a Yuengling Light now being sold in Publix stores here.

Yuengling's also on tap at the handful of local nightspots I visit on occasion.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I find that beer in cans tastes like liquid metal.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I can't drink beer in a can and have refused to do such since I graduated college. I decided that I could finally afford beer in a bottle and I was never going back.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

1. is this the same company that makes obsidian stout? if so, i fully endorse anything they're puttin out.

2. yes tommy, the Y is in your part of GA :D

3. only budweiser products can be partaken from a can. i cannot explain why, it just is. (and no sh&^^y beer jokes, please. all of us have been through the "well-that's-all-i've-got-in-the-wallet" stage. some longer than others.)

11. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Living on the west coast, I have not had a Yuengling since 2001, when I went back east. My extended family lives about four miles from the orginal Yuengling plant and that was what first got me hooked on the beer.

Lucky for me, I leave for New York in 10 days, and the first thing I am doing, even though it will be 9:30 a.m., is having a Yuengling.

I can't wait. What sucks is I can't bring any back with me. Stupid airline rules. I blame the terrorists.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Finally experienced the Y in upstate New York last year. Still not found in Rhode Island, though (as is the case with the even-harder-to-find Iron City).
    How much penetration is Narragansett getting outside RI?

Draft saved Draft deleted