1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention Texas writers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sam Waller, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i read right over that the first time and never took it for the kick in the balls that it was.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Dick.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

But I had an actual response. Dick.
    I lied, I am rooting for the Phillies only.
    Anyway, this thread has an actual point and I am curious if the books are still for sale, what with football starting in less than 72 hours.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god damn do i ever feel stupid now.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Selling 1000 copies of a high school football reference in Texas? Screw buying a copy, can I buy a piece of the action? Sounds like a moneymaker to me.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This is a great idea, and I don't even live in Texas anymore. Unique product, huge potential audience.

Word to Mr. Waller---when you are doing short print runs, like your 20 demo copies, there are much less expensive ways to get book printed than $21 a pop. Find an on-demand printer like Lightning Source out of Tennessee that will do it for about a half of that.

Best wishes with the book!

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sam

I'm a Canadian where hs football games routinely get 75-100 spectators.

I'm mystified about Texas hs football but I instinctively "get" the idea. .

More impressive however is the work involved.

Congrats

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not being a wiseass when i say you do not "instinctively get the idea." those people are freaks, period. you have to see it in person and then you walk away simply shaking your head. fucking freaks.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, I just compare it to hockey in small town Ontario. :)

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Junior hockey is probably a good comparison based on the stories I've heard from my Alaskan and Canadian friends.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You've never lived until you've been to a game in some little 2A Texas town, where the number of people in the stands outnumber the population of both towns involved. It really is a sight to behold.

They take their football seriously down here. Whole towns will shut down on a Friday night. No joke.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

The field I walked on covering my first high school game in Texas made the field I played on in college look like a county landfill. The money they pour into facilities (and coaches' salaries) there ... :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted