1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention Texas writers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sam Waller, Jun 30, 2006.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

jps hit explained it well.

HS football is king in this state.
    Has been for years, and that in itself makes the book worthwhile.

People here would buy sandpaper toilet paper if it had something about Texas football on it. That helps explain why Texas Football Magazine...a once yearly publication...comes out in June when no one is even playing or thinking football and sells like hotcakes from Day 1.
    Me personally, I wish they'd wait until July, fix a lot more mistakes and make it a great publication again, but this is Texas, and it's HS football, so they can run int in June with mistakes and it sells.

I personally would have no interest in a publication on Michigan hockey, but I hear it's big up there, and folk up there would buy it.
    That's why Mr. Waller addressed this thread as "Attention Texas writers..."

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've been to Texas many times. Does that count?
    Where bugs are the size of small birds, and when you hit one on the highway you feel you should pull over, bury it and say a few words. (And apparently keep statistics on the number of bugs you hit. The rate at which you hit them. And total number of bugs hit during different stages of dusk).
    Print it, and sell it to all "bug hitters."

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And... yet another shit-stained troll comes sliding out betwixt the flexing buttcheeks of some California fishmonger's wife's slimy asshole.

See ya, Wrapper Boy.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought I knew exactly who you were talking about ... until I got to the part about their great tradition. Now I'm just curious.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

texas sucks, until you eat at the rockin' q. ... then everything in life changes.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've got a copy of the Blue Book of College Athletics right here. Get one every year for $50 or so. It's over 800 pages.

I underline the naughty bits.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Naughty bits? Is that a new breakfast cereal? I'm in.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I thought I did too. If it's Commerce, we had that book, at my old paper. What a godsend. Only school in that entire region of the state with a record book like that. And, FWIW, here's a site that is also very helpful for Georgia prep writers: <a href="http://www.ghsfha.org/">Georgia High School Football Historians Association</a>. Helluva site.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Giving this one more message to keep it at the top, then I'll unsticky it since it's been here for a while.

10. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

A quick update on the process:

I've gotten some bids back and the two cheapest will only do a minimum of 1,000 copies. A third company will do quantities of 250 or 500, but at a higher price. Even at that, it's a significantly better price than Kinko's.

I'm still trying to get something set up for coaching school. A couple of coaches I've talked (and given free samples) to said there shouldn't be any problem getting 1,000 sold there. I'm also offering a deal to our local booster clubs, which, since this is West Texas with lots of football nuts, should generate a little more business.

The application for copyright is in the mail and I have to let that run its course before mass production begins, but it looks like I should have books ready to ship sometime in late August/early September.

For those of you who sent e-mails, I have your contact info on file and will get order forms to you just as soon as I can get a pdf made that can be sent as an attachment.

Thanks for the response (and thanks, again, to Webby for letting me do this).

Sam Waller

11. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

OK, guys, we're getting closer to making this a reality.

I'm in Austin for coaching school and have order forms to pass out. If Maury Salinger will let me, I'm going to leave a stack in the press room at the Hilton.

I'll be at the football all-star game on Tuesday and will bring a handful of order forms to the game.

We're going to go with a little higher bid because that printer will allow us to do as few as 250 copies per order. All others will only do orders of 1,000 or more.

Cost is going to be $30 per copy and I can send it express mail for $5 (surface mail would be $4.80 and take about three more days to get delivered).

If you're in town this weekend, give me a shout and we'll have a cold one.

Sam

EDIT: Maury has allowed me to put a stack of order forms in the press office at the Hilton Austin, Room 415. I'll also have some with me at the all-star games as well as a demo copy to show around.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Mr. Waller - I randomly found this thread and never bought one of your books last year. Is there a chance I can buy one this summer? Are you still selling it? Is it updated?
    Thanks for any info you can give.

Draft saved Draft deleted