1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention Texas writers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sam Waller, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Sam, you are a blinding, brilliant light from heaven. And the Fred Uecker comment made my day.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Check out Texpreps.com. Joe Lee Smith does a decent job keeping up with coaches/teams historical records. But most of that content is subscription.
    But some of the records there are off slightly from some that I have on certain coaches and schools. Some of his are right, some of mine are (according to school sources), and some I don't know. Still it's a great source and the discrepancies are minimal.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm guessing you could sell quite a few. hell, i may be interested

when i used to work in georgia, there was a school that had a guy who put out a historic yearbook for this small, class a school every year. it was done on dot-matrix printer paper, but was still amazing. 300-plus pages. had the school's record in all sorts of weather, against teams with certain nicknames. plus all the other stuff. just crazy. when i left, i left all my copies to the next guy. wish i had one, just to show people.

amazing, it was a school of like 300 or something, yet this guy did it every year. they did have a hell of a football tradition, but still...

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I did an almanac 10 years ago for the main school I covered when I started out in weeklies. It had the results of every game played all the way back to 1928, coaches' records, capsules of some of the top years, school records by game, by season, by career, etc. It took about a year of research and going through years and years of microfilm and brittle bound volumes. I made about $500 off of it.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, I'm not underestimating them. Just questioning them.

6. fishwrapper

I'm not sure of the attempted correlation here, but I'll run with it.
    If "idiot" is an euphemism for "drug-dealing" or "drug-distributing," I'm with you.

7. JME

JME Member

Bitter much?

8. fishwrapper

No. Not at all. I'm really not a bitter person.
    Just curious as to the insatiable want for such minutiae. I'm aware many of us have been employeed for many years on reporting on such events, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. I propose it drawn at 370 pages. Anything more, and I'm out of here.

9. JME

JME Member

Again, it's for reference. I can see not being interested, but damn.

10. fishwrapper

Ok. Ok. Maybe I'm missing the boat here. But, I wouldn't give two-shits and a nickel for it.

11. JME

JME Member

Well, neither would I, because I have no interest in having a reference book of Texas football stats and such. Plenty would, I'm sure.

12. jps

jps Active Member

fish, it's all about the readers -- and in Texas, readers want football. The more minutiae you can give em on a regular basis, the happier they are.
    Waller's a good guy, and this is a great reference tool for anyone writing in TX - every sports dpt. in the state ought to order at least one.

Draft saved Draft deleted