1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention sports writers who live-tweet games: No one cares

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The answer to your questions, in the order asked:

No.
    No.
    No.

And I just either unfriended her or blocked her on the Facebook. She posted some advertisement she had created for her son's baseball game program or some crap. I dunno. But I won't see it anymore.

See: Unfollow!

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think this depends a lot on what games were talking about.

Preps or some Podunk NAIA school that isn't on TV and isn't gamecasted.... Tweet all the play by play you want. You're probably the only one there so not only is it not redundant, it's necessary.

Now, anything above preps... The original post is right on.

I cover a pro beat and I try to never tweet anything that is merely describing the action. Always some value added: context, stat, etc.

Joe Blow just homered for the 4th straight game.

My other rule is never tweet anything that you know will require another follow up tweet in less than 2 minutes.

They're going to challenge the call on the field.

Overturned.

Just wait and tweet the result!!!

This also happens with the old something is wrong with Joe Blow, trainer coming out to see him.

Oh and one other thing. As much as possible try to include the score. I hate people who somehow believe they need to tweet every detail because they are the only source of info, but never mention the score!

So the perfect tweet adds something for people who are watching the game AND includes the score for people who aren't.

Ask yourself this: if someone sees my tweet 20-30 minutes from now, will it be useful?

Brian likes this.
  3. Are you familiar with the "mute" function on Twitter? Seems like that can help you. Or just creating lists.

I load up my Tweetdeck and monitor my lists to make sure I don't miss anything in local news, local sports, national sports, timely news issues, etc.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

My readers follow me for facts and information. I'm not an analyst or a columnist. I am not going to dissect high school sports. I'm a reporter, and I'm going to report on my beat. That's what I do on Twitter, and it works fine. I have just over 1,000 followers and I don't think I follow 150. I think I do all right for smallish midwestern town.

And I am definitely not a personality. Why would anyone care about my mundane observations? Why should they? If some team's defense seems tired, I'll ask that team's coach after the game and get his opinion on it -- the only opinion that matters.

The whole "If they care about the game, they'll be watching it," is so wrong. Not only for preps, but for pros. I know plenty of people who work nights or weekends (food service, health care, retail, etc.) where the only way they're getting updates on games is through Twitter when they have a break.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. My spouse and kids don't think I'm funny at all, so I must be hilarious.

2. When I left my job as sports editor, the strongest reaction I got outside the paper was: Are you still going to be on Twitter?

3. Live tweeting during a game is HARD. You probably have other stuff you need to be doing as well to devote that much time. Probably best to keep up with the score and judiciously highlight key plays and controversies now and then.

4. It's tough to stick to No. 3 because your competitors are tweeting like demons.

5. If I am out and about, Twitter is my main source for keeping up with live sporting events.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm on Facebook as much as I'm on Twitter and while they're the same in many regards, Twitter just seems to capture a truer sense of the human condition right now.

Eh, Facebook does as well but it's much easier to follow a broader base on Twitter. I think I've crafted a great feed that captures the Carnival of Life.

I love watching it unfold the way I love capturing it with a camera. Now, if I could only afford a Leica.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A couple things:

>>I made clear in my post that those tweet suggestions were for televised events. In terms of preps, I think score updates -- and how those scores were achieved -- are good.

>>If you're a reporter, you can tell if a defense is tired. It doesn't take a coach's sage insight, nor is visible tiredness an opinion. It's a fact. Five players on D with hands on their hips is a sign of tiredness. It's not like the PBP radio announcer would ignore such a thing.

>>On the final note...if you're working during a game and you're so invested that you're following a game on Twitter, I have to think that person also uses gamecast and a score app. Or perhaps even a Watch app.

I generally side on the notion fans being much smarter and savvier about stuff than we think they are. I also think a lot of beat writers are enslaved to the "coach's thoughts" in a way that serves the coach more than it does the reader.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When I can't be in front of a TV or radio for a Nationals game, I'm usually on Twitter following the beat writers as they describe what's happening. It's quick. It's easy. It's informative.

Pretty simple.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In my sister's college graduation speech, she interrupted her sob-filled thank-yous to point out to the audience just how bad my jokes were growing up/still are. There is no clearer sign that you're not funny than that.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least you made an impression, Sparty.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I did find one person who laughs at my jokes and I was smart enough to marry her.

Ace and amraeder like this.
  12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's a guy in our state that does it ... he can't help himself... but needs to stop. yesterday...

Draft saved Draft deleted