1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

attention fashionistas!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Feb 20, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I received, as gifts, a black corduroy jacket and a khaki ultrasuede jacket. ???

So far as I can tell, neither jacket matches a single pair of pants that I have in my (fairly limited) wardrobe. I'm pretty good at dressing myself, but if I have a weakness fashion-wise, it's matching textures...just not very intuitive on that point. Corduroy and ultrasuede are wierd ass textures. Any ideas as to what kind of pants, fabric-wise, go with either corduroy or ultrasuede jackets? Come on SportsJournalists.com fashion experts, if you can answer this one satisfactorily, maybe Jones could get your ideas into a sidebar in Esquire.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

3. writing irish

Jeans and ultrasuede? :-X

Jeans and corduroy...well, I've got a vintage early-70s light brown corduroy jacket that looks very good with blue, black or brown jeans. It's a wide-gague corduroy, so to speak, casual and kind of outdoorsy-looking.

But this new black corduroy jacket is a narrow-gague cord that's kind of velvety and almost formal-looking. I don't think it would look good with jeans. I don't know if it would look good with anything.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

They would work fine with jeans. Just about anything works fine with jeans.

The khaki jacket, I'm guessing, would also look fine with black trousers

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Yes, jeans.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Jeans. There's even a book about it.

[​IMG]

7. writing irish

Me dress handsome one day.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think even Frank can save your ass with these monstrosities.

Unless you're going to a Junior League bridge get-together, you never wear ultra suede.

And black cordoruy, well, you may be able to dress it up ironically, but that's about it.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have neither kind of jacket and I don't think I've ever seen a black cord jacket. In my 20s I had a tan cord jacket and wore it with khakis. I have cord pants in tan, navy, brown, olive and gray and wear with tweed jackets. I'd say jeans, but you could try a heavy wool like these:

http://www.johnsonwoolenmills.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JWM&Product_Code=277&Category_Code=PK

Or maybe moleskin. I don't have any, but the texture might be right:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory_showcase3.asp?dir%5Fid=885&group%5Fid=898&cat%5Fid=12380&subcat%5Fid=12381

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nice try, Frank, but you can't save every bug from every windshield.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When did people start wearing corduroy again? I haven't owned a pair of cord anything in at least twenty years. And I used to live in the damn stuff in the 60's and 70's. Even owned a pale blue cord suit in the late 70's. Classic 70's hideous fashion.

I think the only way you could pull a black cord jacket off is to go the Austin Powers route.

And I'm sorry, ultrasuede, moleskin, whatever you want to call it is beyond advice.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

writing,

Don't wear the cord jacket with cords, for the love of all that's holy.

Dark jeans... not light jeans... dark. Dark jeans are more 'formal,' if that's possible.

I'm picturing the ultrasuede with a charcoal slack... but I'd really have to see it to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted