1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention fans at Cavs road games: STFU!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 30, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LeBron James does it again. A Portland fan gets on him in the second half tonight. LeBron's answer: 17 fourth-quarter points and the game-winning layup. This is the second time dopey fans thought they could throw the NBA's best player off his game.

Hopefully everyone in Cleveland stayed up late to watch this one tonight.

2. service_gamer

service_gamer Active Member

Wait, Kobe plays for the Cavs now?

3. TheSportsPredictor

LeBron > Kobe

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

That was a sick performance.

To borrow a Bill Simmons phrase, that was a "no f'n way" game for the Cavs, and in past years it would've ended up a 20-point blowout loss. You can really see LeBron maturing this year and developing a killer instinct. This is great to watch.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Blazer fans are dopes.

6. service_gamer

I agree that LeBron is closing the gap a little bit, but Kobe is still the greatest player on the planet.

7. TheSportsPredictor

I agree that LeBron has passed Kobe and everyone else.

PPG: LeBron 30, Kobe 27.8
    Reb: LeBron 7.7, Kobe 6.2
    Asst: LeBron 7.3, Kobe 5.3
    Blocks: LeBron 1.1, Kobe .5
    TOs, steals: dead even
    Shoot%: LeBron 48.2, Kobe 45

LeBron's career average/game in pts, reb + asst better than Kobe.

8. service_gamer

Keep in mind that when Kobe came in the league, he didn't have to shoulder a team quite like LeBron did. I guess now you'd probably argue that "well if Shaq wasn't there, Kobe would have zero titles" and maybe that is the case, but Shaq hasn't won anything without sharing the burden with another superstar. Kobe's numbers early on may not be as gaudy as LeBron's are, because he was on a title contender out of the gate. Also, it seems that LeBron physically matured much earlier than most players (which cracks me up when people brush off the idea that LeBron may reach his ceiling, and granted it's a high ceiling, earlier...you can only get so good), but I don't necessarily see him raising his stats at an astonishing clip from where they are now. And you can't discount the fact that Kobe spent 2004-2006 (and a brief part of 2007) having to jack up a lot of shots to keep his team competitive--hence the lower FG%. Would you rather Kobe take a fadeaway three as the shot clock expires, or throw it into Kwame Brown and let him work his "magic." As for rebounds, you could say LeBron is better, but I don't really see him or Kobe really banging on the boards so much as rebounding when it's convenient. And assists are such a misleading category that I'm to the point where I don't really care about them--trust me, seeing Kobe setting up his teammates for open looks, only to have them miss time and again makes you not care so much about dimes. I mean, if you want to judge players based solely on stats, that's fine, but if it's okay with you, I'd rather see how they play in the context of the game. Yes, LeBron went to the finals last year, but if you don't think Kobe could do that with the Cavs in the Eastern Conference, you're crazy. And before we annoint them just yet, let's see the Cavs compete with the Pistons or Celtics in a seven game series. Oh, and I guess I do have one stat for you:

Lakers: 28-15
    Cavaliers: 25-19

And after all, these are the only numbers that really matter.

9. TheSportsPredictor

10. service_gamer

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Drew Carey was wrong.

12. service_gamer

Oh, and also, let's just wait for a comparison of teams once L.A. gets healthy again.

Draft saved Draft deleted