1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention ESPN - Poker is not a sport, do not air it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Throwdown!

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

nice indeed, but it's Men "The Master" Nguyễn who is famous for the "all you can eat, baby" phrase. Not that I watch enough poker to know that of course.

And congrats, Buck. How about a few details on your win last weekend. How many players were in the tournament, what was the winning hand, etc.?

3. That's the rub with ESPN's treatment of poker. They air the hell out of it, and I'm fine with that as I fall into the category of finding it more entertaining than an NBA basketball game, but they don't completely cover it, as in I doubt the reese story will make it on sportscenter. It's almost like, "We'll hoar ourselves off to the WSOP coverage, because it brings in pretty good ratings, but turn our backs to it after that." It's kind of hypocritical.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Reese got a headline on the front page of espn.com last night. I didn't see sportscenter.

5. E-Street: Did you just wake up from a five-year coma?

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

No, I'm pretty sure it's Scotty who says it. (I think ::) ) He doesn't say it in this clip, but for your viewing pleasure, Scotty Nguyen schools Humberto Brenes.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Field of 157. Took about six hours.
    The winning hand was two pair, aces and eights.
    We were two sided, and I had a huge chip lead. I was pretty sure my A8o was good preflop, but I flat called in the SB to see where he was at. He checked his option, so I knew he had not a single broadway card.
    Flop came A38 rainbow. I checked to give him some rope. He went all in with 43s, and I insta-called.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Weren't you worried about getting shot in the back of the head?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe we're both right. Not sure who coined it, but it's come out of both's mouths from time to time.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

ESPN has announced that they have gotten the rights to broadcast the Champion Gaming Series on ESPN next season taking over from Direct TV's Channel 101.

This is what will happen if ESPN starts thinking that the E in the name is the only one that matters and the S gets pushed back for bull shit.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Only if the E now stands for extreme boredom.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Eh, it'll be late afternoon and late night fodder for the Deuce.

Draft saved Draft deleted