1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention ESPN - Poker is not a sport, do not air it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Oct 19, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I want to know why it's on ESPN Classic.

2. Dedo

Dedo Member

Buck, have you seen an official schedule for 2008? I usually play one of the other bracelet events, but the WSOP site doesn't have the dates up yet.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Harrah's hasn't released the actual schedule yet, but back in October the announced the general dates: May 30 to July 17.
    Gives you an idea for planning, but it's not much to go on. They have yet to actually release a schedule.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2007/10/wsop-2008-dates-announced.htm

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I enjoy Poker After Dark on the Travel Channel (also like anything Samantha Brown is on), but I'll have to check out this poker show on GSN. I don't recall having seen it. Good luck, Buck. Let us know how it comes out.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Poker on TV is bullshit -- the whole point of actually playing poker that you really don't know what the other players have in their hands, you have to make your own guesses if they're bluffing or not, yadda yadda.

On TV, you know what everybody has in their hand, you know what they ought to do, either they do it or they don't, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

But, since I've watched a grand total of about 45 seconds of poker on TV in my life, I don't care either way. Except when it pushes other legitimate sports off the airwaves.

6. Sly

Sly Active Member

That's my issue. You'll turn on Classic expecting to see some cool football game from the '80s and instead you get WSOP 2004 Main Event, Part 7. Blech.

7. doctor x

doctor x Member

Hey, any of you who regularly staff poker: How's the chow in the press box?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

All you can eat, baby! [/ScottyNyguyen]

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It is fun to watch the old poker reruns (pre-hole card cam), then you can try to guess what everyone's got. But those reruns aren't aired much anymore since ESPN has about 500 hours in the can from the past five years.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Nice one.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I would wipe the floor with you.

Yes, that's a challenge the next time I'm in the same town with expendable. :D

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, and how time seems to slip away, I haven't touched a dart in probably ten years. I might have to practice up. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted